The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Ever get the itch to rescue?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:18 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hello everyone! It's been awhile since I have posted on here. I still lurk a lot though :lol . I just had a question for all our rescuers out there. I have never rescued a dog, both our kids are from a breeder. I have recently just had a feeling that I should rescue a senior dog. I'm not sure when it started or why, it just kinda crept into my head and stuck. I'm not sure what to do about it. We recently purchased our first house and don't really have the money or time ( our pitbull is only 9 months old and still in training) to have another dog, especially a senior who would require extra care and vet bills. Any ideas on what I can do to get this out of my head and help out without taking in another dog. THANKS!!

Post subject: Re: Ever get the itch to rescue?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:26 pm 
Active Forum Member

You could foster! Many rescues need fosters, and often they will supply anything needed for the foster, food, toys, paying for vet bills, ect. All you need to do is care for the dog. If you don't want to have another animal in the house, volunteers are always needed. (And no, I am not a volunteer or rescuer, I'm not old enough! :gig ) Just some ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:53 pm 
Forum Legend

There are some rescue organizations that will place a senior dog with you and they will still pay for any and all vet care for that dog. Maybe contact some of the rescues in your area and see what they have?

Maggie Mae, home September 1, 2014

---------------------------------------
Feather: March 23, 1994 - November 17, 2011
17 years and 8 months of Love

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:27 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Frequently! I always thought I'd get a rescue dog, no idea how I ended up with these posh pedigrees with all the breeding / showing thing! I do see Cavaliers and cockers being shared on facebook needing homes, but hubby would kill me if I got any more! :shock:

Spaniels are the best dogs!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:00 pm 
Forum Legend

I have the same issue. :wv
I actually have a foster right now. Originally I wanted a senior/sanctuary dog to foster, and we got 14 yr old Ryan, who was deaf, had a grade 4 heart murmur, and although we didn't know it, was almost blind.
Short story-we also took 8 year old Sunny who has a heart murmur and had been in the rescues kennel for 4 months.

So 2 dogs with health issues and me with my health limitations.
I will say, it wasn't easy at first.
But, as mentioned, rescue groups are hungry for foster homes. They do pay for the care of the pooch. The senior dogs can stay until they cross the bridge, as they usually don't get adopted. Our Ryan crossed in Oct.

I started out looking at a specific breed rescue group, and it morphed into 3-4 rescue groups up and down California.

Even though Sunny is still a foster boy, he will be with us forever.

Patti B

Ryan------1999-2012---Our first foster.
Rowdy----1986-1997---Our 2nd rescue.
Buffy----- 1986-1996---Our 1st rescue.
Pokey-----My sons' childhood Cocker.
Poochie---My childhood Cocker.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:55 am 
Forum Legend

While I applaud those who rescue, I've never had the urge. I think because I got Gromit at 10 weeks, and really took the time to train her, socialize her, and enjoy her all-to-short puppyhood. She is the best dog I've ever owned, and I really think a lot of it is due to that early intervention.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:30 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Yes, I am proud to say I rescue. I also foster. The experiences have been very rewarding and sometimes a little frustrating. All of these dogs have went on to permanent great loving homes.

Last year, I fostered the most wonderful senior, Punkin, a 12 year old female English cocker spaniel. Punkin's owner died and the family immediately took Punkin and her 13 year old cocker spaniel brother Bosco to the nearby kill shelter. The shelter contacted the rescue I am associated with and I ended up fostering Punkin. Punkin was sad for a few weeks, but with help and tons of tlc she came out of it. I thought for sure I would have her until she passed. For her age, Punkin was in great health and everyone loved her! To make a long story short, to my surprise and horror/delight Punkin was adopted!

I am happy to say that both Bosco and Punkin got adopted within 3 months. Both are still going strong and are the delight of their adopters. I am so happy to be part of this process :sun

If you are interested in a senior dog, I would get in contact with a cocker rescue and foster. You might be surprised how much fun and how rewarding it can be. Most of the seniors taken in by the rescue I am affiliated with get adopted. Some do end up in long term foster situations.

Let me know if you have questions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:39 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Not trying to be a downer here, but if someone cannot afford another dog, I would not suggest fostering. There are many things that are reimbursed by rescues but you often have to put the funds out first, especially in the case of an emergency. That being said, I love to foster and fall in love with every dog I get. It is twice the work and more money but it is also twice the love and licks on the cheek. And more dogs sitting on your lap. :hi

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:23 pm 
Forum Legend

Yes, I do agree. It can be costly. The rescues usually come with health issues, as did both of ours.
Sunny is still on Blue Buffalo kibble, special shampoos, eye medication. He has all the known Cocker problems.
We treat him as if he were adopted, so he gets bling collars from Erika, photo shoots with Peggy, and more vet bills than we anticipated.
We are lucky that we are able to afford this.

Patti B

Ryan------1999-2012---Our first foster.
Rowdy----1986-1997---Our 2nd rescue.
Buffy----- 1986-1996---Our 1st rescue.
Pokey-----My sons' childhood Cocker.
Poochie---My childhood Cocker.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:59 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Emma wrote:
We recently purchased our first house and don't really have the money or time ( our pitbull is only 9 months old and still in training) to have another dog, especially a senior who would require extra care and vet bills. Any ideas on what I can do to get this out of my head and help out without taking in another dog. THANKS!!

After reading Deborah's post, I reread the initial post. Many rescue reimburse much of the expenses especially for vet bills, but as a foster you usually cover the food and other incidentals. The component that you add as a foster parent is time. If you do not have the time, do not foster.

Maybe, you can volunteer with a shelter or a rescue to walk the dogs. Also, you might be also to help with transport of the dogs. A good idea is to reach out to a rescue in your area and see what opportunities they have.