The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Caribbean Vacation Suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:59 am 
Forum Legend

My fiancé and I would like to go on vacation for a week at the end of April or in May. We've never been on a caribbean vacation before and find it very overwhelming to chose a resort. Of course, we'd like all inclusive :tg . We would also like to have the choice of a few activities like shopping, excursion, swimming with dolphins, or something else. My main goal going there is to spend as much time as I can on the beach.

Does anyone have a good resort to suggest?

Post subject: Re: Caribbean Vacation Suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:31 am 
Forum Legend

Inclusive is easiest found in Jamaica, Dominican Republic, and St Lucia. If you found a hotel I might be able to give you info on it. I'm betting you would enjoy Sandals at St Lucia

I know a lot of places with wonderful shopping, but they aren't inclusive which can add up quickly to a huge bill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:55 pm 
Active Forum Member

I am currently researching this too. We are leaning towards Aruba! Good luck choosing...I know it's hard!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." --Anatole France

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:11 pm 
Forum Legend

:wv

Sorry, no suggestions here, but hopefully you will get a lot more good answers. :happy

Just wanted to tell you that I am soooo Jealous! :evil Have a great trip. I will bet that wherever you decide to go, you will really enjoy the beautiful locations. :sun

:paw Dawn

JOINED ZIM FORUM 5/15/08~4:15pm
Chloie Pearl~Babybutt~Tri~2/16/08
Muraco Misun~Red/Wht~4/13/11
Moonbeam~Ms.Moonlight~Buff~7/24/00~8/14/11
Persalina~Big Bright Eyes~Buff~10/92~5/12/08
Willamina~1981/1996

JUSTICE FOR OREO: http://www.justice4oreo.net/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:21 am 
Forum Legend

I LOVE Aruba and also Curacao, but they aren't inclusive. I only know of one hotel in Aruba that is inclusive and it was not good! We didn't stay there, but we strolled through and we saw the buffet :sad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:02 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Well- never been on a cruise or had that type of vacation so I am probably of little help. That said - have you considered just a cruise that goes to several areas and provides day trips? My son and daughter-in-law swears by them since you unpack on the boat, plan your activities as they are available and are usually all inclusive. My son did one where they went to several islands, swam with dolphins, did bike riding along the cliffs on the island, toured ruins, had lunch in a great sidewalk cafe and then went to the boat for a night of dinner and dancing.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:25 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

We love to cruise. We have gone on about five of them. Some with the kids and some without. We all went to an all inclusive resort, Dreams, in Cancun Mexico. It was amazing. So, in my opinion you can not go wrong with either.

Have fun!!

Maliika-Missed everyday - June 24,2002 - March 20, 2010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:45 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I also would suggest a cruise as it is "all inclusive" except for souvenirs and drinks on board. :th-up

We have taken several Caribbean cruises that stopped at different islands and enjoyed every minute of it. It's like living the high life while you're at sea. :Clap

Attachment:
File comment: Cruise collage
Cruise, Collage-resized.JPG
Cruise, Collage-resized.JPG [ 258.08 KiB | Viewed 1573 times ]

Missing Abi and Leroy with all my heart.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:00 am 
I Rescue Cockers

I love cruising too. If you have a bad time, it is your own fault with all the fun and excitement everywhere! Can't beat the prices too!

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:18 pm 
Forum Legend

Mexico used to be the place for all inclusive and lots to do. Now it simply is NOT safe.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:26 am 
Active Forum Member

debbiefive wrote:
Mexico used to be the place for all inclusive and lots to do. Now it simply is NOT safe.

I was just in Mexico in February in the Riveria Maya area and it was very safe. There are tons of all inclusives in the area.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:44 am 
I Rescue Cockers

I would read the security risks before booking to Mexico. It is not as safe as we all would like to believe. My place of business does not allow travel right now to that area.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:12 pm 
Forum Legend

If you have never been to the Caribbean, I would also suggest a cruise. It lets you visit a variety of islands so you can determine which one(s) you like and then return to those islands for a week long stay.

I disagree about all of Mexico being unsafe. We are scuba divers and frequently travel to Cozumel, which is an island off the east coast of Mexico (across from Playa). Cozumel is very safe, the residents are friendly, and it is one of my favorite places to visit. We usually stay at the Iberostar, all all inclusive hotel at the south end of the island. The food is decent and I never have a problem finding something I like. It is inexpensive enough that you can afford to go to town for dinner a night or two and not feel the pinch of "paying twice". Just be aware that alot of Cozumel has iron shore, which makes it great for diving, but it makes accessing the ocean from the resort a bit difficult. You can still enjoy sitting or walking on the beach though. Most people at the Iberstar hang our around the pool.

We have also stayed at the Sandals Grande in St. Lucia, which is fabulous but pricey. We stayed at the Sandals in Jamaica, but that isn't an island where you necessarily want to venture off of the resort.

In Aruba, we stayed at the Divi all-inclusive. The food was fair, but the beach was very nice. It is a great island with alot to do. That famous constant breeze also helps keep you cool!

I always like to check the Trip Advisor website for reviews and information on the resorts we consider visiting.

If you need any more specific information on any of these places, or want some pictures, let me know!

Rocky (7/18/02), Onyx (10/2/10), Misty (8/15/11), and Ethan (10/20/11)
Weesister (7/18/02-7/22/10) and Killington (10/85-2/02)waiting at the bridge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:25 pm 
Forum Legend

You can read about the dangerous of Mexico right now. It is not worth the risk to me and was one place I loved a few years ago. We have been to many places in Mexico...never disappointed. I will return once things settle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:21 am 
Forum Legend

Link to US State Department travel advisory re: Mexico:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... _5665.html

Quintana Roo: Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya and Tulum are the major cities/travel destinations in Quintana Roo -see map (PDF, 286 kb) to identify their exact locations: No advisory is in effect.

I always tend to check this website when traveling to an unfamiliar country.

Trip Advisor information on Cozumel: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1508 ... afety.html

In my experience, the biggest thing to worry about in Cozumel is having an accident in a rental car, which is due to the laws in Mexico.

I provide this information and my opinion--bottom line is that you have to travel where you feel comfortable.

Rocky (7/18/02), Onyx (10/2/10), Misty (8/15/11), and Ethan (10/20/11)
Weesister (7/18/02-7/22/10) and Killington (10/85-2/02)waiting at the bridge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:23 am 
Active Forum Member

Mexico is a huge country. Saying it isn't safe over the whole country is like saying the entire US isn't safe due to the crime rate in a city like L.A. In the Mexican Riviera you fly right in direct from the US normally.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:31 am 
Forum Legend

I don't know if this is any help but I'm still praying for a trip to Bora Bora / Tahiti!!

My family goes to Cancun and Cozumel quite frequently and swear by it.

You also can't beat a good cruise! My grandma went on one not that long ago with all her friends and she LOVED it!

(Grandma is in the light pink)

Aunt to: Diesel: Yellow Lab (8/6/10)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:17 pm 
Active Forum Member

Vicky & Charlie wrote:
My fiancé and I would like to go on vacation for a week at the end of April or in May. We've never been on a caribbean vacation before and find it very overwhelming to chose a resort. Of course, we'd like all inclusive :tg . We would also like to have the choice of a few activities like shopping, excursion, swimming with dolphins, or something else. My main goal going there is to spend as much time as I can on the beach.

I was in Jamaica last month and we stayed at Couples Resort. There are 4 to pick from. We stayed at Sans Souci and it was heaven. After staying there I cannot imagine staying elsewhere. Check out their website and they have a forum that gives so much information.
http://couples.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:13 pm 
Active Forum Member

My husband and I went to Jamaica for our honeymoon and we liked it. It was beautiful, the food and drinks were great, and everyone who lives there and works there are so kind. You have to be careful about traveling away from the hotel. We did a few "off-hotel" activies (horseback riding, ziplining, shopping, etc) and as long as you stayed with the "hotel guided activity" you were fine and felt pretty safe.

We stayed at the hotel below. Like I said, food and drink were great. Beach was lovely. Except you had peddlers coming up to you often (we were offered drugs numerous times, kind of kills the relaxation/mood). But we were also offered some incredible wood-carved items. There were definitely positives and negatives. Great atmosphere, beautiful views, great access to food, drink, & beach. Rooms left a lot to be desired, though we had our own private pool which was nice.

http://www.breezes.com/resorts/runaway-bay/

Mommy to:
Walker -Buff - Born 2/22/09 and
Ranger - R&W - Born 9/19/09

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:42 pm 
Active Forum Member

Vicky & Charlie wrote:

I went to Atlantis a couple of years back and I had a blast. the hotels at atlantis itself weren't all inclusive but I did hear about hotels nearby that were that for extra you received a day pass to the activities in atlantis. the package that we got included golfing and hanging with dolphins. it was great. google atlantis/paradise island. I loved it!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:31 am 
Site Admin
 WWW  Profile

Here's a web site you should check out, with deals at all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean...

http://www.cheapcaribbean.com/deals/all-inclusive.html

Kellyn and I have been on 14 cruises, including four in the Caribbean. I've considered trying an all-inclusive resort, but one of the big advantages of a cruise is all the entertainment that you just won't get at an all-inclusive. One a one-week Carnival cruise, you will see four different stand-up comedians... a pop-music band... a Calypso band... several individual singer/musicians... several full broadway-style shows... and several variety acts such as a comedy/juggler or comedy/hypnotist.

On a cruise, you'll not only get good beach time during the day... but great entertainment at night. I would think that an all-inclusive would get kind of boring at night.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:53 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Jim forgot the best part, the Bingo! I always say if you don't have fun on a cruise, it is your own fault! Always lots to do.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:04 pm 
Forum Legend

Atlantis (Paradise Island, Bahamas) is wonderful and so much to do. We have been there several times and I still haven't tired of it. It is quite expensive but has it all.