The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Three more videos (carding knife included)
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:58 pm 
Here are two more videos http://youtu.be/VfpYFe9N-FU and http://youtu.be/JTxUmZuQcWE These show cutting a dog down short with a natural back and how to tip or shorten the natural back.

I've got one more that show how to use a stripping knife. Yay it only took 18 minutes to upload. http://youtu.be/PNCndP9ZgzQ

Last edited by Julie Hydro on Sat May 26, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: A couple more videos
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:44 pm 
Forum Legend

I learn something every time I watch one of your videos. Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:46 pm 
Forum Legend

Thank you Julie! You make it look easy (and even). How long do you think you can go between groomings with that particular cut before they start to look unkempt?

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:39 pm 
TinaP wrote:
Thank you Julie! You make it look easy (and even). How long do you think you can go between groomings with that particular cut before they start to look unkempt?

A long time. Three months maybe? You'd still have to do faces and trim around the feet, but the legs should last quite a while. I determine when Sokka needs a 'full groom' by when he starts to pee on his feet. You can see how bushy his feet were when this started, but he was cut much longer last time I did a full groom on him.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:45 pm 
Forum Legend

:tywag Julie,

I have added these two video's to my "favorite" file! I am still working on Muraco as Chloie is already cut pretty short and is very easy to comb. Just have to trim her face, top knot, ears, back and feet a little. Maybe her little wiggle butt too! :gig

If I should cut (have threatened) Muraco short, there is a Daddy in this house that would be VERY disappointed! :roll

Thanks again,
Dawn :paw

OH! While we are on the subject, can I use the Mars Coat Handler on Muraco's long hair legs too? So far we have only been doing his back and neck. Kevin is doing this during Muraco's soap part of his bath.

JOINED ZIM FORUM 5/15/08~4:15pm
Chloie Pearl~Babybutt~Tri~2/16/08
Muraco Misun~Red/Wht~4/13/11
Moonbeam~Ms.Moonlight~Buff~7/24/00~8/14/11
Persalina~Big Bright Eyes~Buff~10/92~5/12/08
Willamina~1981/1996

JUSTICE FOR OREO: http://www.justice4oreo.net/

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:56 pm 
dawn & kevin wrote:

I have added these two video's to my "favorite" file! I am still working on Muraco as Chloie is already cut pretty short and is very easy to comb. Just have to trim her face, top knot, ears, back and feet a little. Maybe her little wiggle butt too! :gig

If I should cut (have threatened) Muraco short, there is a Daddy in this house that would be VERY disappointed! :roll

Thanks again,

OH! While we are on the subject, can I use the Mars Coat Handler on Muraco's long hair legs too? So far we have only been doing his back and neck. Kevin is doing this during Muraco's soap part of his bath.

No you definitely shouldn't use the coat king on his legs. Only the back and into the sides just a little.

Post subject: Re: Three more videos (carding knife included)
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:04 am 
Forum Legend

Julie: Can you recommend good thinning shears, too? I think mine "catch" a little, but I didn't pay much for them. I am definitely getting a stripping knife. I think it would make a world of difference in Emma's coat compared to what comes out with the Mars.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:25 am 
I love my 44/20 taper fine, they are about 100 dollars. Kelly (KLAD) has said she like the millers forger 46 tooth and I think they are around 70? I have a pair by blue ribbon that ran about 110. I like them, but not as much as the 44/20 They give more cutting ability as the blade is longer but I don't think they work quite the same for me.

I was thinking about it, and I would guess the length Sokka is before I started cutting him is what hair would grow to in about three months from a 3 3/4 cut down.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:16 am 
Active Forum Member

Thank you, Julie! :happy I groomed Indy yesterday using the tips you told me, and he came out pretty good! (At least as well as an amateur groomer, like me, could groom him. :gig )

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:51 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Julie, a heartfelt thank you. I really appreciate the time you invest into helping us. You are an angel!

Question: When doing the back of the ears, how low do you shave it?

Kudah - French Brittany rescued June 2008

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:02 am 
Forum Legend

Julie Hydro wrote:
dawn & kevin wrote:

Thanks again,

No you definitely shouldn't use the coat king on his legs. Only the back and into the sides just a little.

Thanks Julie! I will tell Kevin to only do back and partial sides. The Coat King really did help flatten Muraco's back hair down. Now, we can see his svelte little figure. :gig

Willamina~1981/1996

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:42 am 
Active Forum Member

Julie,

Have you considered putting all your video's onto a CD? I don't know if it is possible but it sure would be handy.

Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Claire

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:01 pm 
Forum Legend

Dear "Grooming Genie Julie" (I think that's what we should call you, as you are performing miracles for a lot of us!) :nw ,
Another question- how far down the sides do you go with either the coat king or the carding knife?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:21 pm 
Each dog will be different. When you start carding out a back, you will generally 'see' a pattern emerge on your dog eventually.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:51 pm 
Forum Legend

Julie,
Just wanted to tack on my gratitude too! I love watching your video explanations of these tricky techniques, they are just awesome. :-)

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

Adam

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:06 pm 
Forum Legend

Ok, I think I figured out how to add pictures, so I want you to see Emma as she now looks. I plan to work on her again tomorrow. See how I left her back ALL long. That's what I thought a "natural" back was - not cut AT ALL. But, of course, it looks sort of stupid. So my next question is, if I use the 3-3/4 blade all over her back, chest, tummy, legs, etc. and someday decide to grow her out again, won't that back hair take two forevers? Not that I'm planning to do that at this point because this is SO easy, but just curious. Here's a blurry picture of what I did last weekend. I'm not sure I'll ever be a good groomer, but I'm pretty sure a little practice will make me better. Thank you in advance.

Attachments:
File comment: I can't even look at youz - Iz too embawwased
phpTovqixPM.jpg
phpTovqixPM.jpg [ 32.47 KiB | Viewed 1557 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:31 pm 
No not really. It grows back before you know it. I grew Sokka out to take him to the Northwest grooming show for another groomer to see how to transition necks and topknots and it took about three months from cut to nothing to looking like he was a puppy in a show.

You know you didn't do a bad job on the legs. Once you cut down the back and everything else I think she'll look pretty good.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:34 pm 
Forum Legend

Awww Tina,

Emma is a doll baby and she knows better than to look at that flashy thingie! :smch So, she is not and has no reason to be embarrassed. She looks great, IMHO! :th-up Because, I am still learning so much from these video's, I will wait for Julie's comments and I agree with you. You will get better the more you work on Emma and Waylon too! :cry

I started doing my own grooming when we had Persalina and am still not very proficient. But, like you have stated before, we don't have show dogs, so who cares. We all do what we can to make them pretty, see that they are comfortable and feel good. :love

PS: Today, I trimmed Chloie Pearl (more work to do though) and she is now running around the house with Muraco at her heels. Guess he wants to see how she looks and smells too? :gig

Edit: I see that Julie has already replied. :nw

Willamina~1981/1996

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:05 am 
MarciaM wrote:
Julie, a heartfelt thank you. I really appreciate the time you invest into helping us. You are an angel!

Question: When doing the back of the ears, how low do you shave it?

There is a little notch at the back of the ear that is your guide to how far you go. Usually, on a dog with a good ear set, that will be about at the level of their chin and that is officially where it should be.

If your dogs ears are set higher it will vary. However, I would be careful not to cut down too far if your dogs ears are very high set, or you'll be cutting off nearly the whole ear.

Also, there is a school of thought that 1/3 of the total ear length should be cut off. I wouldn't ever go by that measure. Just like if the ears are set high, if your dog has super long ear hair you could literally shave off the entire leather before you hit that third.

Bottom line, chin (at the lower jaw)level on most cockers.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:45 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

A million thanks. I hope you will have a good week ahead...

Kudah - French Brittany rescued June 2008

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:00 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thank you for ALL of these Julie. They are so helpful. I love Sokka!! He is gorgeous. He reminds me of my Mulligan. Mully always wants to sit while being groomed too. Does Sokka have Legend in his pedigree by chance? I think I see a resemblence. :hp

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:01 pm 
Julie S. wrote:
Thank you for ALL of these Julie. They are so helpful. I love Sokka!! He is gorgeous. He reminds me of my Mulligan. Mully always wants to sit while being groomed too. Does Sokka have Legend in his pedigree by chance? I think I see a resemblence. :hp

Yes, Sokka's dad is a Legend dog.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:19 pm 
Active Forum Member

Julie Hydro wrote:
Julie S. wrote:

Yes, Sokka's dad is a Legend dog.

Well our boys are related then. Mulligan's Mama's side is all Legend. :love

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:35 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Another thank you for the videos. They help alot. I have such a hard time with Casey-with summer here I like cutting them short so he can swim and have fun, but blending the black and white on his legs so it is even with his tummy and looks ok is very hard. He looks wierd if the black line is not even. He looks great when he can be a bit long and I can have the black go straight across.

Attachments:
CaseyTP.jpg
CaseyTP.jpg [ 51.96 KiB | Viewed 1302 times ]

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy