The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: cordless clippers?
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:27 am 
Active Forum Member

We added our 3rd Cocker in Feb to our family and was at the groomer's on Monday and my groomer suggested I learn to groom our dogs on our own so maybe we can go longer between grooming apptmts. She said to me, "Lora, paying for 3 Cockers groomed is so expensive!" I don't mind bec. I want them to be taken care of and look nice. I have the older Zim Cocker DVD and she offered to let me borrow a another Cocker Grooming DVD she has. She doesn't want to lose us as customers, but trying to help us out financially. I would rather pay her than mess up my dog's haircuts. But she gave me a grooming equipment catalog and I was going to take the plunge and order some grooming equipment so maybe I could do "touch ups" at home at least. I mentioned to her the cordless clippers. She thinks I need to get the kind with a cord because she said the Cockers coats are thick and corded ones do better than cordless. I'd like to be able to give their haircuts outside when it's warm weather so that is why I was wondering. She said she uses Andis Brand Clippers. What advice can y'all give me. I think I read on here that Julie uses the Wahl brand and saw that Jim reccommends the Andis 2 speed w/ cord on this website? Thank you.

Post subject: Re: cordless clippers?
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:39 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I highly recommend the Wahl Bravura. They are cordless but do have a cord to charge it and you can use it while charging. I started with the Wahl Moser Arco and loved using it on faces and paw pads, but the combs were awful for full cuts. The Bravura combs stay on great. After my arco fell and made noises and didn't work right, I bought the Andis AGP (the purple one) with a few blades, I hate it-I just do not like the cord in the way. I also like to groom my crew outside, and in cold weather my usual spot(near the electric plug) has snow on it, so with the cordless I can set up in the front yard where it is sunny and no snow. I have hardly used my andis since I got my bravura, but now that spring is here is probably will use it for a full body shavedown in June. Look for sales on the bravura at all the different websites.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:26 pm 
Forum Legend

I bought the Wahl Bravura about a month ago and LOVE it! It is SOO much quieter than the corded Andis AGC-2 that I bought a couple of years ago. I was able to use the Wahl to do a complete groom of Gromit, and still had about half a charge left. And since it is much quieter, she was much more relaxed during grooming, especially around her face. When I bought it they were offering a free set of Wahl metal clipper combs, which really makes them so versatile. I like it so much that I'll probably just end up selling the Andis clippers since I doubt I'll ever use them again.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:15 pm 
Forum Legend

I love love love my Wahl Chromado...blades adjusts from 9 to way short, maybe 40,which I never so short.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:46 am 
Forum Legend

My clippers just died so I need a new one. I was wondering what the difference between the bravura pet and other bravura clippers? Need one soon because I only finished half of Zoey's face and none of her beard so she is quite funny looking......but I loved the metro dryer. Zoey not so much :evil .

Riley and Grayson my "skin kids"
Princess Bambi the bunny
Sam and Carly the hermit crabs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:32 pm 
Active Forum Member

I am a big fan of the Laube clippers. They have a multi speed corded and cordless kind. I also have the small one that is really quiet. The dogs like that for around their faces. Check out their website: kimlaube.com . Their customer service is top notch. Family owned business located in Oxnard, CA. Their clippers are sold on many dog supply websites such as kingwholesale.com , and others. You can order direct from them as well. They are usually at the grooming show and sometimes they have package deals when there. I have had my clippers for 15 years now and LOVE them!