The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Booster Bath for dogs.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:29 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Does anyone use one of these to bath their pups in? I herniated a disc in my back and the tub isn't an option anymore and I found this one kijiji for sale. Is it worth the price? What if any are the drawbacks to using one of these? Thanks
http://boosterbath.com/

TUCKER Black Cocker 10-15-99 to 01-06-2010 We Miss you big boy.

Post subject: Re: Booster Bath for dogs.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:38 pm 
Active Forum Member

Becky H uses one. You can PM her if she doesn't respond.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:19 pm 
Active Forum Member

We have one and really like it. It's worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:38 pm 
Forum Legend

The only downside I see is the cold hose water. I have considered a stand alone laundry sink that I can stand in a shower and use a handheld shower head. The water could run from the sink drain to the shower drain. It would be small enough to put in a closet for storage if need be. It works for me since I have the extra bath never used

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:44 pm 
Forum Legend

debbiefive wrote:
The only downside I see is the cold hose water. I have considered a stand alone laundry sink that I can stand in a shower and use a handheld shower head. The water could run from the sink drain to the shower drain. It would be small enough to put in a closet for storage if need be. It works for me since I have the extra bath never used

A very clever idea, Debbie! :th-up :nw We could put one in our shower as well, but right now Kevin is doing all baths and I like it that way. :wk He is younger. :YAY

Dawn :paw

JOINED ZIM FORUM 5/15/08~4:15pm
Chloie Pearl~Babybutt~Tri~2/16/08
Muraco Misun~Red/Wht~4/13/11
Moonbeam~Ms.Moonlight~Buff~7/24/00~8/14/11
Persalina~Big Bright Eyes~Buff~10/92~5/12/08
Willamina~1981/1996

JUSTICE FOR OREO: http://www.justice4oreo.net/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:54 pm 
Forum Legend

Dawn in KW wrote:
Does anyone use one of these to bath their pups in? I herniated a disc in my back and the tub isn't an option anymore and I found this one kijiji for sale. Is it worth the price? What if any are the drawbacks to using one of these? Thanks
http://boosterbath.com/

Hi Dawn,

I am so sorry about your back! UGH! :roll I tried to look at the tub in your link and I got a warning that said "something is not right here" with a bright red background. But, from the other replies that you have received, it looks like a great solution for you. :th-up

That is if you don't have to give the pups a bath in your RV. :dk Then I guess the great out doors would work. :gig Upon reflecting, our RV has an outdoor shower. Guess that is a possibility as well. I have never thought of that one before. Kevin could even give the RV a bath too! :joy

OK, sorry.... I got of on other thoughts as we are headed for a trip soon. :wow We have been planted at home since New Year's! :bang

Willamina~1981/1996

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:46 pm 
I have used Becky's before at the Groomapalooza's she has graciously hosted for us. I would say that girl in the picture is short. For me, 5'7'' I have to bend quite a ways down to reach a cocker spaniel. That's harder on my back than actually getting on my knees and leaning over a regular tub. I choose to bath my dogs in my kitchen sink with the hose attachment if I do them at home. It's the perfect height for me and the part that separates the sinks keeps them in one place.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:00 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi Dawn,

We've had our for about 4 years now and love it. Yes I am only 5 feet tall so don't have to bend as far as Julie :)). However at the time we bought our we were able to buy a ramp the worked either to help large dogs walk into the bath or you could hook it in the tub itself as a riser. We use it as a riser making the dogs stand above the sides of the tub. Works great I don't think they sell the ramp any longer they now sell stairs, don't know if they would work as a riser don't think so. Without the riser the girls back was about even with the sides of the tub so still better since we have a deep soaker type tub. As for the cold water, if your washer is outside in the garage they do sell an adapter so that you can get warm water the same way your washer does. I believe it's called a tropic shower something or other. (I bought my mom the booster bath and adapter and it works great for her) Since our washer is upstairs in the house this was not an option, so I bought a portable 8 gallon water heater, they are mostly used for giving horses a bath, but again it works great for us and nothing is to good or too much work for the girls. I like Julie did bathe them in the sink when they were small but now with the full coat and all I never feel like I get all the soap out and they make a mess of my kitchen . So long story short, for us it is more than worth the money, has held up really really well and if anything happened to it I would replace it in a heartbeat.

Buffy Amber Frost 1/16/80 - 7/3/95

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:45 pm 
Forum Legend

We have a walk-in shower in our bedroom, so I just installed a hand-held shower head and sit on the floor of the shower to bathe Gromit. Once she's done with her bath, I stand up and take my shower. Works out great for us!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:50 am 
I Rescue Cockers
 WWW  Profile

I LOVE the booster bath! Don (UnklDonDon) has one at his place - he uses his ramp for the Springers to enter the tub. Like Becky I use the ramp, inverted, for its second use - as a booster in the tub for the smaller pooches (aka Cocker Spaniels). Don hooks his up to both hot and cold water hoses and that takes care of the temperature issue for us. The Booster Bath saves my back (I'm 5'2")!

:Parti Indie Kodak's Canyonview Little Miss Independant, CGC, ThD (in training)
:Parti Bennett Kodak's Canyonview The Best Is Yet To Come, CGC, ThD (in training)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:03 pm 
Forum Legend

It's good to read these reviews. I've considered a booster bath, but opted for something pretty inexpensive until I decided if I was going to continue to bathe at home (I am) - and then I never bought the booster.

I, too, use a stand alone fiberglass laundry tub set into my regular bathtub, and then have a hose attachment from the shower with a sprayer. While it's easier on my back then bending over a tub, I would still like to figure out something to put in there to raise my dogs up a little higher without it being too wobbly for them. It mostly works great for us because I have a spare bathroom and just keep it set up in there.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:29 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Thank you all for the great reviews on the tub. I found 2 on Kijiji the next town over...one is a medium and they want $75 for it. It's only 6 months old and their dog passed away so they dont need it anymore. The second is the one I am going to check out tomorrow afternoon. It is brand new and its a Large tub so I will be able to bath not only the cockers but also the sheltie in it. The large sells new on the website for $149 but this one is only $50 so as long as its the same as the website it looks like thats the one I am going to be getting.
I cant wait...bathed one in the kitchen sink last night and the other I took into the shower. My back is killing me and I should have known better but they were way overdue on their baths.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:38 pm 
Forum Legend

Dawn in KW wrote:
Thank you all for the great reviews on the tub. I found 2 on Kijiji the next town over...one is a medium and they want $75 for it. It's only 6 months old and their dog passed away so they dont need it anymore. The second is the one I am going to check out tomorrow afternoon. It is brand new and its a Large tub so I will be able to bath not only the cockers but also the sheltie in it. The large sells new on the website for $149 but this one is only $50 so as long as its the same as the website it looks like thats the one I am going to be getting.
I cant wait...bathed one in the kitchen sink last night and the other I took into the shower. My back is killing me and I should have known better but they were way overdue on their baths.

Hi Dawn,

How ironic! :wk You now have the dogs bathed (breaking your back in the process) and tomorrow you will probably be home with the booster bath! :gig

Willamina~1981/1996

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:47 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Yeah its ironic isn't it lol. BUT there is a very long haired sheltie who needs a bath and she's not small either. :gig
I am hoping that once I get it home and Hubby gets warm water looked up to it HE can give sadie her bath :ROFL
We are heading to NH with all three pups in the Fifthwheel to see Family and grandkids for 9 days. Then its off to campground in Gasport NY for 5 days to see my inlaws where they have a seasonal set up. SOOOOOOOOOOO you can bet once we are back home all three of the pups will desperately need baths and grooming and I am so looking forward to not hurting my back bending over the tub.
Pain Meds and muscle relaxers will only do so much for the pain and if I can avoid it, I am all in and will do so at almost any cost as I hate pills.

Last edited by Dawn in KW on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:20 pm 
Forum Legend

Dawn in KW wrote:
Yeah its ironic isn't it lol. BUT there is a very long haired sheltie who needs a bath and she's not small either. :gig
I am hoping that once I get it home and Hubby gets warm water looked up to it HE can give sadie her bath :ROFL
We are heading to NH with all three pups in the Fifthwheel to see Family and grandkids for 9 days. Then its off to campground in Gasport NY for 5 days to see my inlaws where they have a seasonal set up. SOOOOOOOOOOO you can bet once we are back home all three of the pups will desperately need baths and grooming and I am so looking forward to not hurting my back bending over the tub.
Morphine and muscle relaxers will only do so much for the pain and if I can avoid it, I am all in and will do so at almost any cost as I hate pills.

Hi Dawn,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TD_pSeNelU :YAY :Clap :joy :hi

Wish we were taking an extended trip, but alas we only have 11 days. Kevin is still working and no where near retirement. :bang We are going to our forum member, Sylvia V, resort on the Sacramento Delta. We love it there and it is so peaceful. Also, love the annual park guests. There is a different group for each season. One group (in Octoeber?) even have an annual potluck dinner. We had about 40 people the last two years. The Sturgeon fishermen usually bring the main dish. Yummm. Can you tell that I am anxious to get the wheels on the road again? :gig :sun

I have been reading, on this thread, about some sort of a ramp. You will probably need to get one since I don't think that lifting the dogs, in the bath, would be good for your back. :roll Unless, Frank can lift them for you. :wk I think that I have his name in the back of my head. :OMY Isn't it funny how we RV'ers give our dogs baths before a trip when we know that they will need baths again when we return home? :ROFL

I hope that your back will get better with time. Hopefully, the damage is NOT permanent? Morphine is a pretty potent drug from what I have heard. :sad

Please update on the booster bath! Have a fun and safe trip. And, Enjoy!

Willamina~1981/1996

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:31 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Well I purchased the large Booster Bath and its big enough for me to bath 2 of them at the same time :ROFL
When we get back from our trip hubby is going to be doing bath duty like it or not. I will let you know how it works out for us but, I did put the boys into the tub and its a great height for me only because I'm short 5'4. Not so sure how its going to work for Frank who is 6ft but at least his back isnt bad :raz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:48 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi Dawn, my husband is 6' 1" and he is able to use the booster bath no problem. We do have the riser for the dogs, but if it's to low for your husband, Mark suggested raising the tub itself, by building a platform or blocks under the legs. Just a thought, hope it works as well for you guys as it does for us.

Buffy Amber Frost 1/16/80 - 7/3/95

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:25 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Thanks Becky. I will have my hubby build a platform if needed as suggested :th-up

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:57 pm 
Forum Legend

We use the shower stall with a hose and stool to sit on. It hurts more giving a hair trim than the shower. The hard part is the bad knees getting up.