The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Where is Zim's Ear Solution Formula?
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:41 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I've looked and looked and can't find "it." I can find plenty of references, but not "it."

Thanks!

:hp

Sadie, CGC, TDI, our darling li'l black girl who adopted us 9/5/09, honorary BD 6/9/08
Rusty, we'll love you forever, 9/22/95 - 4/2/09
Mopsie, you're always in our hearts, 1978 - 1994

Post subject: Re: Where is Zim's Ear Solution Formula?
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:59 pm 
Active Forum Member

Spaniel Ear Cleaner Recipe

Ingredients:

White vinegar
Powdered boric acid
Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol)
Betadine antiseptic (or the generic version, known as Povidone-Iodine Solution)
Please note: do not use "Betadine Scrub", use "Betadine Solution"

Directions for mixing the solution together:

Pour six ounces of isopropyl alcohol in to a plastic applicator bottle. Add one and a half teaspoons of boric acid powder. Be careful not to get any boric acid on your skin or clothes. If you do, wash it off immediately.

Shake the solution extremely well, until the boric acid powder is dissolved, or for five minutes, whichever comes first.

Add two ounces of white vinegar. Shake the solution some more, until the boric acid powder is dissolved, or for another five minutes, whichever comes first.

Add one teaspoon of the Betadine antiseptic, and shake it up some more. Be careful not to get any Betadine on your skin or clothes. If you do, wash it off immediately.

The ear cleaning solution is now ready to use.

To use the ear cleaning solution:

It is recommended that you use the ear cleaning solution in your garage or outdoors, as the dog will shake it out of his ears and it will fly in to the air and stain things.

Squirt the solution inside your dog's ear until the ear canal is completely full. Massage the outside of the ear to help slosh the cleaning solution around inside. Release the dog and let him shake out the ear cleaning solution from his ears.

If you get any of the ear cleaning solution on your skin, wash it off as soon as possible.

Be sure to shake the solution up really well before each and every time you use it. The boric acid has a tendency to settle at the bottom of the bottle. Store at room temperature.

Use the cleaning solution daily until you start to see some improvement. Gradually cut back to once per week when you are happy with the condition of the ear. When the ear seems completely free of infection, you can go two weeks between treatments.

Warning: Do not use this ear cleaning solution on dogs with ruptured ear drums, or on dogs with open sores or wounds in the ear area. An ear exam by a veterinarian is recommended
prior to beginning treatment with this ear cleaning solution.

This recipe came to you from Jim Zimmerlin - www.zimfamilycockers.com

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:16 pm 
Forum Legend

Just an added note- in my area (Florida) the boric acid powder was kept behind the pharmacy counter. I didn't need a prescription or anything special to buy it, but it's not out on the shelf.

Do NOT buy the boric acid "roach killer" powder.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:58 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Thanks so much. I really want a solution that doesn't stain all it comes in contact with. Is there one out there?

Sadie, CGC, TDI, our darling li'l black girl who adopted us 9/5/09, honorary BD 6/9/08

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:27 pm 
Forum Legend

I have never had staining with k-9. I also do not use a cleaner for an infection remedy ever. I am a believer in a vet check, recommendations from the vet and Meds. Cleaner is a preventative IMO

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:32 am 
Forum Legend

I really don't have any issues with it staining. It is the color of pale tea in the bottle, but anymore I just apply it either in my bedroom or in the living room, and I've got cream colored carpeting in both rooms.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:28 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

The K-9 that I have is purple and it stains. The top of my washer aka grooming station (you can tell I don't do much grooming) has purple stains on it. They last for a few months and then fade. All the towels get the purple on them, too. I just was hoping for something that wouldn't stain the carpet, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:22 pm 
Active Forum Member

MJ Watt wrote:
The K-9 that I have is purple and it stains. The top of my washer aka grooming station (you can tell I don't do much grooming) has purple stains on it. They last for a few months and then fade. All the towels get the purple on them, too. I just was hoping for something that wouldn't stain the carpet, etc.

Have you tried the Zim's, I use it every room in my house, where every the dog happens to be and I have not had any stain at all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:27 pm 
Active Forum Member

My vet gave me a free bottle of the K9 ear cleaner that is tinted purple. I have not used it and went to Rite Aid this morning and purchased all ingredients needed for Zim' ear cleaner. I even followed Zim's link to Amazon and purchased the squirt bottle for $3 and free shipping!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:32 pm 
Active Forum Member

I love this recipe. I have used now for over 2 years. I have had much success with this. Every time I take Izzy to the vets she comments on how good her ears are. Yet when I asked her about this recipe, she said not to put this in her ear. Go figure :raz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:35 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

MJ Watt wrote:

I have used the K9 solution for my crew for a few years, and haven't had staining issues, probably because after I squirt it into the ear canals, I put a cotton ball in the top of the canal. I do the same for the other ear, then massage both of the ears at once, so the solution squishes around in the canal. The cotton ball absorbs all the excess solution, and then I use the wet/moist cotton ball to clean and wipe the grooves and valleys in the underside ear flap. Only then is my 'victim' allowed to escape, run around like crazy and shake his/her head.

Hope this helps!

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Waiting at the Bridge: Little Sister, Savana, Tivy, Slider, Arrow and all the others, I will always love you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:53 pm 
Forum Legend

I am using the K9 on Louie and also on my girls after they go swimming. It stains for sure, but I think what Marianne et all suggested is the "management of the spills"/cleaning it up before it stays. I remember I asked Dani to teach me to manage my problem because I am pretty clumsy. I pretty much do everything that Marianne says inside the shower or in my bath tub. If the dog flings it or I spill it, I can rinse it off after I let the victim off.

I use the Virbac ear solution on my girls. That one does not stain. It is not as strong as the K9 or Zim though. I would only recommend it to maintain "good ears". Almost four ears ago when Louie had very yucky years, I had to clean his ears with Virbac at least 3 times a day and it still did not feel clean.

BTW, Heidi and Cherry are mostly on Virbac (except when they go swimming) and they never have ear problems.

Cherry CDX RE CGC R/W Parti DOB: 4/1/10

Please support rescues and responsible breeders. Stop buying from evil puppy mills!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:00 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I guess I should make a batch of Zim's. The K9 does stain - I do put cotton balls into her ears after I put in the solution, but she manages to shake her head before I can control her. :tg
Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:32 pm 
Forum Legend

I've been using the K9 Liquid Health that Julie swears by, just because I'm too lazy to track down the ingredients and make up my own batch of the Blue Solution.
I have to say the K9 Liquid Health works great, and does not stain anything.

---------------------------------------
Feather: March 23, 1994 - November 17, 2011
17 years and 8 months of Love

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:19 am 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

I use Thornit powder and there is no staining at all as it is white and a powder. :sml

Mum to Dylan (Lurcher), Flash (Saluki), Jesse (American Cocker Spaniel) and Skye (English Cocker Spaniel). RIP Troy!