Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Cherry Eye in Cocker Spaniels
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:50 pm 
I Rescue Cockers
 WWW  Profile

Our Forum suffered a major crash in Sept 2010 - and one of the informative posts on Cherry Eye was suddenly - GONE! I've done some poking around, and here is the first page of posts from days past ... including the link to Mike's FABULOUS compilation on informative/useful Cherry Eye posts. Thank you Jim for the original post. Here it is, once again!

:Parti Indie Kodak's Canyonview Little Miss Independant, CGC, ThD (in training)
:Parti Bennett Kodak's Canyonview The Best Is Yet To Come, CGC, ThD (in training)

Post subject: Re: Cherry Eye in Cocker Spaniels
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:50 pm 
I Rescue Cockers
 WWW  Profile

Information About Cherry Eye
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author: Jim Zim [ Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:25 am ]
Post subject: Information About Cherry Eye

Cherry eye (prolapse of the gland of the third eyelid) is a fairly common problem in Cockers, and it's one of the most common things that people write to ask me about. I've answered cherry eye questions so many times that I finally decided to add a page to my web site devoted exclusively to helping people deal with cherry eyes. You'll find it at http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/CherryEye.html

We've actually talked about cherry eye quite a bit here on the forum, too. One of our forum members, Mike M, took the time to do a search of the forum and to sift through every thread about cherry eye... and then compiled some of the most informational posts in to a single document. Click here to read it: http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/CherryEye.pdf It's in .pdf format, and most computers can handle that without any problems... but if you have any trouble, just head over to this site to download a free copy of the Adobe software for viewing .pdf files: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Big thanks to Mike for doing the work on sifting through all the old forum posts on this topic!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author: Cathie L [ Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:38 am ]
Post subject: Re: Information About Cherry Eye

Wow, thanks a lot, Mike. This will certainly make it easier for new members (and old) with questions. The answers are all in one place. I like that!

Author: Raye Atl [ Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:26 am ]

Thank you Mike,
This really helps. Charlie has a third eye lid, and we were trying to decided the best treatment option.

Author: dogzaverz [ Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:55 pm ]

Just my experience, like any medical treatment, call around and get
quotes as the cost to treat "Cherry Eye" varies widely.

Author: Peggy/ASCF [ Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:12 pm ]

Hi Jen -

It sure does - and part of the cost discrepency is based somewhat on the differing procedures offered. It's a balance between the proper treatment, an experienced vet, and cost!

Author: lynne Pettersson [ Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:07 am ]

Thanks Mike for your hard work.
I just reminded a new member who was asking questions about raising a new puppy to use the search feature, that has been a big help.
Mike how about compiling a list of...

Author: Mary U [ Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:07 am ]

Mike and Jim,
Thanks so much for putting this document together.
And how great that the site has a seach option.
Might be getting into cherry eye with my 6 month old.
It seems to pretty easily pop back into place for now.Thanks for all your work.

Author: ablovell [ Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:35 pm ]

Thanks for this post. As a new dog owner of a puppy with Cherry Eye in both eyes this post was very informative! We took our puppy to the vet today and there they gave her a tear test. Unfortunatly she doesn't produce enough tears to even consider operating on her when she is 6 months old. I am very sad to hear this news because she looks so silly with both eyes so red and swollen. I was really hoping to be able to get this problem fixed! She also had an ear infection in both ears. I am hoping this problem will be easy to take care of. I didn't realize a cocker came with so many problems. Good thing she is dang cute!

Author: swartzhelen [ Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:45 am ]

We just had our 7 month old male's cherry eye corrected. We waited so long because of the cost. I started looking at 10 weeks old and we were quoted 1200, 1000 and then 900 for the surgery. We finally went outside the city and found a WONDERFUL country doctor who completed the surgery at only 200. We are so impressed with this vet he is actually there for the animals not the cash. We were told that it is possible that the surgery may not hold as it was more involved than what he thought, but we are keeping our fingers crossed in hopes that it will not have to be repeated. he looks soooo much better even though the eye lids is still quite red. He has been so good about not scratching and sits still for the medication, I really hope this holds.

Author: Gette [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:33 am ]

Was very fortunate to have read information here at Zim's just before my Beagle got a cherry eye. I would have FREAKED out otherwise. She's since had both eyes done at different times at a total cost of less than $200. The cockers haven't had issues yet, lets hope it stays that way!

Author: cosmic1981 [ Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:25 pm ]

love it!
i am taking care a post-cherry-eye-surgery dog right now
thank you

Author: ~Michelle B [ Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:02 am ]

Thank you Jim and Mike! Our family recently adopted our little one from Camp Cocker. He has endured cherry eye surgery and still has his cherry eye which peek-a-boos in and out. The information you provided has been very helpful to us.

Author: Joanne on Orcas [ Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:08 am ]

my cocker had both eyes surgically 'fixed' for cherryeye 6 years ago, and now he has a big wart like growth on his left eye. Is this related? Should I take him to the vet to have it removed, or is it harmless...doesn't seem to bother him, but could get damaged if he rubs is, maybe? I have spent so much $, I hate to take him in if it is 'nothing important" I haven't read any posts about this happening to another dog yet

Author: Peggy/ASCF [ Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:40 am ]

Hi Joanne -

I doubt that the eye-wart is related to the cherry eye surgery from so long ago. Most likely two separate issues.

I also want to thank everyone on the forum (and to my personal sites) - I hear from Dr. Lee in San Diego that based on our recommendations, they've had people come from NoCal, AZ and even further away to get the proper Cherry Eye surgery done at a very reasonable cost!

And there aren't a lot of better places to come play for the day while your furkid gets all fixed up - Sea World, SD Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Outlet Shops, Beaches - LOL!

:Parti Bennett Kodak's Canyonview The Best Is Yet To Come, CGC, ThD (in training)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:30 am 
Active Forum Member

How do you treat cherry eye? I think my friend's dog has cherry eye.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:19 am 
Active Forum Member

I recently (about 4 months ago) acquired a second Cocker Spaniel, Bruce, who was 1.5 years old (best guess). Bruce had cherry eye, so I took him to the vet to get the surgery and get it taken care of. Unfortunately, a month later it was back. The vet said it isn't super common, but that his surgery just didn't take. That's been about 2.5 months ago and my vet and I have talked about all possible treatment options. For now, we're just letting it be. He told me the dog isn't even aware it's there and that we can just keep an eye on it (no pun intended) to make sure it doesn't get worse. My question is this: does anyone have a Cocker that surgery didn't work for, and has letting it be seemed to be alright? I'm new to dog ownership, so I feel like I'm still learning to speak "vet." Help?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:24 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Claire W wrote:
I recently (about 4 months ago) acquired a second Cocker Spaniel, Bruce, who was 1.5 years old (best guess). Bruce had cherry eye, so I took him to the vet to get the surgery and get it taken care of. Unfortunately, a month later it was back. The vet said it isn't super common, but that his surgery just didn't take. That's been about 2.5 months ago and my vet and I have talked about all possible treatment options. For now, we're just letting it be. He told me the dog isn't even aware it's there and that we can just keep an eye on it (no pun intended) to make sure it doesn't get worse. My question is this: does anyone have a Cocker that surgery didn't work for, and has letting it be seemed to be alright? I'm new to dog ownership, so I feel like I'm still learning to speak "vet." Help?

Hi Claire

Callie has had the same issue you are describing. Her cherry eye was first "fixed" by the breeder's vet at 4 months, I got her at 5 months, her vet did a rotten job, IMO. We lived with it, then it seemed to pop out a bit more when she was 2ish, I had my vet do a second repair, it still looks awful. My vet did the make a pocket and tuck it in one, well I think a stitch or 2 gave way several months later-she never scratched it. I now just live with it, it does not bother her and I do not want to further risk dry eye or anything else. Kinda upsets me how it looks, but health is more important to me than looks, so... My vet also did a cherry eye repair on Riley, and his eyes look so wonderful and beautiful.

My sweet angels gone but always in my heart:
Brady, Nicky, Ginger, Katie, Scooter, Fluffy and Fluffy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:17 pm 
Active Forum Member

TTT Excellent piece on the subject. Answered all questions and all cocker owners should be aware of this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:42 am 
Active Forum Member

My cocker had this 18 months ago I fixed it myself.Its an injury massage back in place and give it proper food.Apart from the first week
of it happening it has never returned.Checkout a well known video site.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:00 pm 
Forum Legend

Before I would do anything for Cherry Eye try this first: One tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar and one tablespoon of distilled water mix together and work it in around the back of the neck for a week and see what happens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:07 pm 
I Rescue Cockers
 WWW  Profile

Joe - are you certain? Cherry eye is a physical condition, not an infection (not like Pink Eye in humans, that is an infection). While your mix might help with any infections, bacterias, yeasts, etc, if isn't going to fix a physical issue. I'm wondering if you and I are talking about different conditions here. I'm not trying to be rude when I make this comparison, but your fix would like using a hydrogen peroxide rinse for a human who is suffering from an inguinal hernia - surgery is the only option for a rupture like a hernia. Similarly, a surgery is the option for cherry eye - the question being addressed now is "which" surgery.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:21 pm 
Forum Legend

Just give it a week it won't hurt OK ref eye.

Here are the instructions I somewhat followed from Bullwrinkle.com:

"There are old timers with extensive experience with "Cherry Eye Condition" that recommend an alternative to surgery, especially those breeds that have high surgical risks. The first thing that is done to "treat" this condition is to prescribe an antibiotic ointment, second use warm compresses to the corner of the eye, third is to massage the gland lightly with the index finger applying even gentle pressure in a circular motion. Once the tear duct becomes "unblocked" even if it is out of its normal place it is now of a size that usually can be returned by pulling very gently the outer tissue and "popping" the tear duct back into place. You may have to replace the tear duct several times over a two week period, sometimes I have heard for even a month, but then it does not require surgery, and the dog as a general rule has no more problems with the condition whatsoever. We urge new pet owners to be very careful when attempting to use this technique because you can cause injury to the eyeball if you scratch it when trying to massage the tear duct. Try to find another owner of a bulldog or similar breed to walk you through it the first time to make sure you are doing it correctly. We do urge you to seek veterinarian assistance if the condition worsens or if this technique fails to make an improvement. There are some bulldogs that have an inflamatory disease as well and you may see a worsening of the condition. Inflamatory conditions must be treated with an anti-inflamatory antibiotic drop or ointment."

I made a few changes to the above instructions. I used OTC lubricating eye drops I bought at a pharmacy. They were called Gen Teal. I trimmed my fingernail all the way down. I did the massage and popped the gland back in keeping light pressure on it for about 5 minutes. I repeated the process for the next 2 days but I saw immediate results after the first day. It has been 3 months and we have not had another occurence of cherry eye!"

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:53 am 
Active Forum Member

Well my Tatum does get Cherry Eye ( I assume it is ) Looks like the pic's, but it goes away by itself in a few hr's or by the next day.. I have seen it on her 2 or 3 times in the past few years. So I do not think surgery is needed right now ?
I read this link that was posted and just want to say Thank you PeggyM for it. I know it is a old thread but hope she is still here :)

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/CherryEye.html

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:47 pm 
Forum Legend

Nothing needed. My Dudley would do the same thing
Richard wrote:
Well my Tatum does get Cherry Eye ( I assume it is ) Looks like the pic's, but it goes away by itself in a few hr's or by the next day.. I have seen it on her 2 or 3 times in the past few years. So I do not think surgery is needed right now ?
I read this link that was posted and just want to say Thank you PeggyM for it. I know it is a old thread but hope she is still here :)

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/CherryEye.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:14 pm 
Active Forum Member

Poor Mr. Tully's cherry eye just poped. They are heading in for their next round of shots and I will use all of the forums advise to see if my vet has the chops to do this.