The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Questions about canned pumpkin
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:33 am 
Active Forum Member

Can anyone tell me the benefits of pumpkin for dogs? I'm thinking about trying some for my boys. If so, how much do I give them per meal (I feed them twice a day)? And is there any certain kind to look for (low sodium, low fat, pie filling, etc.)

I've been giving them 1 tbs of nonfat plain yogurt in their kibble (blue buffalo), if I add pumpkin, could I do pumpkin in the AM & yogurt in the PM or vice versa? Or is that too much...?

Thanks! :nw

Mommy to:
Walker -Buff - Born 2/22/09 and
Ranger - R&W - Born 9/19/09

Post subject: Re: Questions about canned pumpkin
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:46 am 
Active Forum Member

Hi Kaci,

I give it to mine - just a spoonful not a specific measurement - like a tablespoon or so? Put it on top of their kibble. They love it.

From what I understand, it has good benefits for skin and coat as well as it's good for digestion issues.

T

Daisy-03/16/08-our B&W parti girl
Wookie-3/23/10-Chocolate boy

"If ever there comes a day we can't be together, keep me in your heart I'll stay there forever" ~ Winnie the Pooh
for Kasey, Chewie & Sushi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:59 am 
I Rescue Cockers

I give canned pumpkin to several of my dogs in varying amounts. My cocker with IBD gets a spoonful because she apparently thinks she doesn't get enough fiber in her diet and tends to scavenge for things like fur tumbleweeds, string, grass, etc. Another of my cockers has anal gland issues, and she actually gets probably 2-3 tablespoons per meal to help that (and to keep her from self-medicating by eating grass runners). My others get it to help the consistency of their stools and because they think it's a really special treat.

I usually give my dogs canned 100% pumpkin from Libby's. During the past year's pumpkin shortage, once my stash of Libby's ran out we switched to acorn and butternut squash, which I had to cook for several months until I found it frozen at a local grocery. We just switched back to the pumpkin this week, and I'm already trying to figure out how many cases I would need for a whole year... it's not available yet at local Walmarts, and I'm not beyond stocking up and hoarding it if I have to.

http://www.midsouthcockerrescue.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:36 pm 
Active Forum Member

Steph wrote:
I give canned pumpkin to several of my dogs in varying amounts. My cocker with IBD gets a spoonful because she apparently thinks she doesn't get enough fiber in her diet and tends to scavenge for things like fur tumbleweeds, string, grass, etc. Another of my cockers has anal gland issues, and she actually gets probably 2-3 tablespoons per meal to help that (and to keep her from self-medicating by eating grass runners). My others get it to help the consistency of their stools and because they think it's a really special treat.

I usually give my dogs canned 100% pumpkin from Libby's. During the past year's pumpkin shortage, once my stash of Libby's ran out we switched to acorn and butternut squash, which I had to cook for several months until I found it frozen at a local grocery. We just switched back to the pumpkin this week, and I'm already trying to figure out how many cases I would need for a whole year... it's not available yet at local Walmarts, and I'm not beyond stocking up and hoarding it if I have to.

I will say that I went to Walmart today and found 100% from Libby's. There were probably only about 10 cans, but I bought 3 (i want to try it before I buy the whole lot). They were about $1.50 each.

And this is probably a silly question, but do you just scoop it straight out of the can? No cooking, or anything required?

Mommy to:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:10 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

We gave on the advice of this forum Pumpkin and Yogurt to the dogs after Tucker became ill with Colitis. It was recommended that we get more fiber into him so we switched foods and started adding the pumpkin to his and to Sadie's dinner. It was also mentioned that Yogurt was good for the digestion and helped in colitis so we started adding that to their morning meal as well.
I give the yogurt about 2 tablespoons to each pup in their AM feeding mixed with their 1/2 cup kibble.
In their evening meal they get Pumpkin again about 2 tablespoons every other day mixed in with their kibble.
When we got Jessie he had BADDDD gas (could clear a room in 5 seconds and that included the other dogs) and after adding the Yogurt to his food no more gas. :nw
Mason has a problem with constipation so we add pumpkin to his food to help keep him regular.
I feed it from the can..no cooking needed. I only get the 100% pure pumpkin with no additives or sugar.

TUCKER Black Cocker 10-15-99 to 01-06-2010 We Miss you big boy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:07 pm 
Forum Legend

Everyone has great advice.. the only thing I would add is that you can freeze any extra pumpkin ... I use ice cube trays and then pop them out, put them in a freezer bag and keep them frozen till needed. Chessie loves them frozen.

Oh and I don't put it on her kibble.. I don't want to leave it sitting out too long and Chessie doesn't always eat right away. I use it as a special treat and put it in a custard cup.

Chesapeake OA, OAJ (CGC)
4/20/10

Competing in Excellent Agility ...
JWW ~ 1 of 3 Q's
STD ~ 1 of 3 Q's

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:32 pm 
I Own A Zim Dog!

Canned pumpkin is wonderful for helping to clear up Kelly's gastros. She "prefers" to be handfed with a spoon and will eat anything that way (except Peptobismal!). Kasey loves it too! Looked for more at the store yesterday and it's not here yet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:48 pm 
Active Forum Member

During the Libby's shortage, I tried an organic pumpkin which cost a fortune and didn't sit well with my crew. I am headed to the store tomorrow to see if there's any around here yet. I can't wait to get them back on it. Elmo is foraging for junk in the grass like nobody's business since we stopped the pumpkin. And I give them each a teaspoon a day. Once I open the can I store the rest in a plastic container in the fridge. It doesn't last all that long with three cockers.

Barkley over the Bridge ~ 10/26/05
------------------------------
Oldies But Goodies Cocker Spaniel Rescue
http://www.cockerspanielrescue.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:36 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

As of today, Libby's pureed pumpkin is back on the shelf at my local Walmart. It's 40 cents cheaper for the big can than what my local grocer charges, so I was thrilled to find it finally. I've figured out I'll probably need almost 2 whole big cans per week for my crew, so 40 cents is a huge deal to me. I was there while the staff was still stocking shelves, and someone else had already bought a couple of cans before me.

http://www.midsouthcockerrescue.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:40 pm 
Active Forum Member

Will have to look again, havn't been able to get any locally for weeks. Going to try walmart tomorrow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:13 pm 
Active Forum Member

I live in the Pittsburgh ,PA area and a good friend of mine works at the local grocery store. She called today to tell me that if I wanted canned pumpkin that I had better get it now. The store has been told by it's supplier that by the Thanksgiving canned pumpkin won't be available because of a shortage due to weather where the pumpkins are mostly grown. If you see pumpkin in the stores, buy up as much as you will need for a while!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:10 pm 
Active Forum Member
 YIM  Profile

Canned pumpkin is great - about a Tbsp. with each meal. I even carried canned pumpkin in my luggage from Florida in February because we couldn't get it in the stores here in California.

Now I've switched to unsweetened coarse Metamucil (1 tsp. per day split into 2 meals) so I can avoid the pumpkin shortage in the future. I also had other veggies to her diet too to help with the fiber issues.

Forever Loved and Never Forgotten:
Shasta, my beautiful redhead Cocker 8-15-1992 to 3-15-2007
My kitties: Willow, Tonga & Mr. Paisley all lost in 2012 due to cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:12 am 
Active Forum Member

Well, I tried pumpkin in their food for the first time the other day. They really didn't care much for it. Then I realized, it was warm from being in my car. When I gave it to them in their next meal it was cold, and they love it!

I'm going to try and pick up as much as I can from walmart today.

Mommy to:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:19 am 
I Rescue Cockers

I buy organic pumpkin now for my dogs. It is more solid and doesn't have all the water in it. I feed a little less than a tablespoon at each meal. And I can find it year round. It is a little more expensive but heck it's only money!

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:53 am 
Active Forum Member

I realize that this may not be practical if you have a short growing season in your area. We just grow our own pumpkin here in CA.

Halve and seed the pumpkin (or any kind of winter squash). Wrap in plastic wrap & microwave on high for 8-10 minutes (depends on size of squash). Let cool, unwrap, and mash like a potato. Then, refrigerate, freeze, or can it.

During the canned pumpkin crisis, we bought butternut squash (after I'd used up the pumpkins from our garden). All those seeds went into our compost pile, then the compost pile was spread on the spring garden; the result is that we have more butternut squash than we can use. It sprouted in the tomatoes, the cucumbers, the green beans, everywhere. I plan on butternut squash pies for Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:09 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Sadie gets about 1 tablespoon of plain Kefir for breakfast with her kibbles. She gets 1 - 2 tablespoons of butternut squash or pumpkin with her kibbles for dinner. I just open the can and plop the pumpkin out onto a wax-paper lined cookie sheet and freeze. When frozen I put into a bag and bring it out as needed. I buy the cubed, fresh butternut squash and cook all at one time. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, a small bag of fresh butternut costs about $2; that same bag at the local Vons/Safeway is $5. When cool, I put about 3 days worth into a single bag and freeze. Then I take out the night before I'll need that bag and let them thaw in the frig. She loves her kefir and squash.

Feeding pumpkin to ill pups is well known on different forums. Sadie really doesn't have problems; I just wanted her to keep healthy.

:hp

Sadie, CGC, TDI, our darling li'l black girl who adopted us 9/5/09, honorary BD 6/9/08
Rusty, we'll love you forever, 9/22/95 - 4/2/09
Mopsie, you're always in our hearts, 1978 - 1994

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:32 pm 
Active Forum Member

We don't feed pumpkin,but we do give Cosmo a mix of baked sweet potato and dry,Acana grasslands for dinner most of the time and he just chows it down.It seems to me that the sweet potato,or yams, has the same sort of nutritional values as pumpkin,or squash, and is a lot cheaper. He gets several Tbsp per meal.
We also give him 4% large curd cottage cheese and acana for lunch every day and that's gone in no time also.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:19 pm 
Active Forum Member

Visited Target today and they had the smaller cans of pumpkin for $1.25

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:53 am 
Active Forum Member

For those of you that live in a area that has a "Smart & Final" store, you can buy pumpkin there in very large cans - several pounds I think. I too had to search for Pumpkin because I have a beautiful Beagle that is on a home food test because of allergies and all he can eat for six weeks is pumpkin, vegetarian refried beans and peanut butter mixed together in equal quantities (except for the peanut butter). He is fed from 4-6 cups of this per day and is doing just fine with the pumpkin diet. Thankfully he is a Beagle that would eat just about anything you put in front of him otherwise I might be in trouble. If it were my other two fur babies, I might have a problem as they are a bit more finicky!