The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: New rescue has separation issues
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:29 am 
Active Forum Member

Hey I have rescued a cocker she is great I just love her so..
SHe is around 4 ..she follows commands so she has had some training ..They didn t know anything at the rescue other than she was a stray..I am trying to ease her separation anxiety..I have some rescue remedy which help but when I leave she seems to cry and working on crate training well isn t going as fast as I had hoped.. I need some advice on what to do to reassure her I am coming back .. This is my first rescue and well if I leave to go anywhere she pitches on..
I got her a thunder shirt and remedy which I already have..other than that is it time and patience..and how will I know she isn t that anxious ? I am trying like I said the crate but with her anxiety the rescue rememdy I hope will work for a 4 hr or so separation ..what to do to crate or not ..I feel not until she is comfortable being in the crate..this is first week..so time will tell.. she is such a sweetie..white and tan and about 11 inches at withers so she is small maybe not that old but patience is mine..I have to be out for Dr. appointment and just thanking the stars for resuce remedy for now.. :raz

Post subject: Re: New rescue has separation issues
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:28 pm 
Forum Legend

I've heard other people say that for crate training a dog with separation anxiety - take it literally a minute at a time. Put her in the crate, walk out of sight for a minute - or whatever time you know she's ok --only long enough that she's "good" and doesn't start to get anxious. Come back and treat and let her out. Just build on that - which sounds like it could take a while, but it all depends on the dog and how comfortable you can get her. Practice it a lot. If she KNOWS you're coming back, maybe it won't take that long. You can also leave an old T-shirt that has your scent on it when you leave, or a soft radio, to help soothe her.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl