The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Mom's bittersweet weekend - by formerly Fat Boy Louie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:55 pm 
Forum Legend

As many of you have known, our close friend and spiritual leader Scrutly Guiles has made his journey to the bridge yesterday. And yesterday was also my sister Heidi's sixth birthday. Heidi is one of Scrutly's many girlfriends. She can be kind of mean to me at times because she says I am not as perfect as her Scrutly.

Long story short, mom has been crying her eyes out since Thursday and Heidi was devastated when we went to say farewell to Scrutly Friday night. We got home past midnight and mom and Cherry still needs to go to the show.

In any case, Mom has entered Cherry this weekend on both days in Rally Excellent B to attempt to finish Cherry's RE title. Since mom screwed up at SKC1, Cherry only has one Excellent leg from SKC2. That said, if Cherry does not finish this weekend, she has to wait until August as she is going to get her patella surgery in a few weeks. And it would be sweet to finish on Cherry's second birthday too. Cherry and Solo's mom share an April Fool's B-day (Happy Birthday Colleen)!!! Ha!

Long story short, mom had two IPs on Saturday, but Cherry still managed to qualify with a 76 or 78 (?). Mom kept blaming Cherry for getting ahead after the jumps, but it was really her problem. Anyways, mom was more careful today. Even though Cherry was distracted by the dropped crumbs at the start line today, they managed an 86 under a picky judge (mom's favorite judge). That judge was also my favorite because I got my first RA leg under her judging at Puyallup Day 1 in 2011. :YAY So that scary Cherry Pie aka Poopy is now CD, RE, CGC at exactly two years of age.

The other dog at our house (aka Heidi or Scrutly's girlfriend) was also entered in Beginner Novice B today. She has not gone to class for more than one year and has not shown for almost two years. And mommy rarely trains her because she tends to have a mind of her own.

When we got there, she was kind of distracted and was ignoring mommy. If I were mom, I would have packed up and left. But since mom and Heidi want to get that rosette for Scrutly, they went into the ring anyways. The heeling pattern was not so great. Mom bumped into Heidi on the first left turn and Heidi forged again at the end and did a very slow auto sit. On the figure 8, mom is to be blamed. She has never practiced with Heidi with real human posts. I guess Heidi did all right, but was lagging quite a bit on the outside go around. She missed one of the two autosits. Then Heidi did very fine with her sit for exam and the sit stay when mom ran around the ring.

And here comes the dreaded recall in the end. If you remember, Cherry Pie did two beautiful runs in Beginner Novice A at the same show last year and then NQ-ed by escaping on the recalls on both days. Back then, they made Cherry do a ring length recall towards the exit. Today, the judge must know that Heidi is not as smart as me or Cherry. She was doing a true 25 feet recall pointing at the side of the ring. On the first front, Heidi ran towards mom and then she saw dad and headed for the exit. Mom was smart enough to call front a second time and Heidi sat on her side. 181/200 and probably one of the last place qualifiers. But a Q is a Q!

Then mom went out and cried her eyes out! I just don't get it. Mom cries whenever Heidi got any Q's. Seriously! Any!!! But she never cried for my Q's for whatever reasons.

And here are two pictures of Heidi's rosettes:
Attachment:
File comment: Heidi's rosette for Scrutly.
Rosette.jpg
Rosette.jpg [ 340.19 KiB | Viewed 795 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Cocker toy Heidi with her Beginner Novice B qualifying rosette for her dear Scrutly.
Toy.jpg
Toy.jpg [ 199.01 KiB | Viewed 795 times ]

And for now, I will hug my mom and sister as they grieve over Scrutly's departure from the earth.

Yours truly,
Louie

Cherry CDX RE CGC R/W Parti DOB: 4/1/10

Please support rescues and responsible breeders. Stop buying from evil puppy mills!

Post subject: Re: Mom's bittersweet weekend - by formerly Fat Boy Louie
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:02 pm 
Forum Legend

:cry :cry :cry :cry

Congratulations on the new titles :th-up .

"Bittersweet" doesn't begin to describe your weekend :sad .

And I'll tell Mom that you wish her happy birthday :smch .

:cool Solo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:48 am 
Forum Legend

Congratulations on your success! :Clap :Clap :Clap

Star the bright light in my life St. James Bright STAR Angel 7-20-2008

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:57 pm 
Forum Legend

So sorry for the loss of your good doggie friend... sounds like you honored Scrutly's memory.

Happy Birthday to Miss Cherry!

Chesapeake OA, OAJ (CGC)
4/20/10

Competing in Excellent Agility ...
JWW ~ 1 of 3 Q's
STD ~ 1 of 3 Q's