Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Learning to breed?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:42 am 
Active Forum Member

My question is:

How do I find a responsible breeder that I can align myself with, use as a role model, and ask lots and lots and lots of questions?

Now a little about me and my life with Cockers...

When I was a child we had a cocker called Ginger. My parents inherited her when I was a baby. She died at age 11. I got really interested in the AKC and the world of dog showing. We lived on an island so, it was not convenient to access dog shows or breeders. My parents bought me a dog. I picked out a big book of dog breeds and read the whole book. We were very ignorant on everything and they ended up getting a Chow Chow from a dog service for me. She ended up being a wonderful pet for many years.

As a child I collected many stray dogs, and as an adult I've been involved in rescuing dogs. I started rescuing when I was about 17. I came across a several cockers and a few other breeds, but I kept going back to cockers. A couple years later, I found a cocker that needed rescuing. She was a 3 hour drive away. I didn't drive, so I had to convince someone to take me to get her. I named her Venus and kept her as my own. I learned to do all of her grooming, taught her many tricks, and kept her by my side always.

Venus died about 3 years ago. I still miss her dearly and think about her every day. I have done some more rescuing since I lost Venus. I'm headed out to get a cocker next week that is in need of a home. It has been a long time since I've had a companion and I'm very excited.

As you can see, my life is all about dogs. My interest has been in breeding and I've spent many hours over the past several years reading information on the internet. Until this point in my life, I couldn't commit to something like breeding, but it is what I want to do. In the past I've worked and went to school. Now I am a stay at home mama. I miss all my cockers and I really love the breed. They are amazing dogs. I want to learn how to be a responsible breeder. So, how do I go about finding someone to talk to?

Why I want to breed...
Amazing experience with the breed. I love how they look, their personalities, and their temperament.
Extreme disappointment with health problems.
I am interested in showing in multiple areas - Conformation, Agility, Obedience.

I hope that covers everything.
If you have any questions that I haven't answered already, ask away!

Thanks in advance,

~Allibeth

Post subject: Re: Learning to breed?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:47 am 
I Rescue Cockers
 WWW  Profile

Hi Allibeth -

I'm sorry about your little girl - they sure leave holes when they are gone!

http://www.asc-cockerspaniel.org/index. ... ml?start=2

That link will take you to a list of ASC member Cocker Clubs in Zone 2, which includes Georgia. The nearest clubs to you are Georgia (in Atlanta, about an hour from you) and North Carolina (about three hours from you). I would start with the club, and see who might be interested in getting a helper - you might start by assisting someone with their dog - learning to groom, helping wrangle dogs outside the ring at shows, basically schlepping around for them. You will learn a LOT that way. Erin Baker online here might have some more info to help you out, she's in the Georgia area too and is involved in both Rescue and Showing.

:Parti Indie Kodak's Canyonview Little Miss Independant, CGC, ThD (in training)
:Parti Bennett Kodak's Canyonview The Best Is Yet To Come, CGC, ThD (in training)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:13 pm 
Active Forum Member

You sound alot like me. I have had an interest in breeding since I was very young. I have done the research but am still waiting till the perfect time. I am alwayz looking at what else I can learn about the breed...can never know too much ^_^

I wish you luck in finding someone to mentor you :th-up

Rainbow Bridge
~Jewelz~ cocker spaniel } 1/31/01 - 5/31/13 RIP <3
~Angel~ mixed } 11/1/01 - 1/7/13 RIP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:09 am 
Active Forum Member

Thank you for the responses and the suggestion.

I e-mailed the local cocker club here in Georgia and am now waiting for a response.