The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Tribute to Rusty Watt 9/22/95 - 4/2/09
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:45 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

This is a reposting of a tribute to our wonderful Rusty. This time, however, I have the beautiful addition of the following painting done by our very own Cindy A. I am so touched by this rendition of Rusty that I had to post it to our Rainbow Bridge thread right away. We love you Rusty - you lived large and left huge, soft paw prints on our hearts. We miss you so. (We remember your birthday is coming in a few days.) Thank you Cindy for this most precious gift.

Attachment:
File comment: Rusty's ever youthful self so happy at the rainbow bridge, as portrayed by Cindy A.
Rusty impressionistic painting resized matted.jpg
Rusty impressionistic painting resized matted.jpg [ 36.46 KiB | Viewed 2351 times ]

The following was originally posted on 4/2/10.

It was a year ago today that our beloved Rusty went to the Rainbow Bridge. I couldn’t post when he first passed. However, time allows us to heal a bit. We’ve had a full 12 months plus a love, named Sadie, help us deal with our loss. We remember Rusty each and every day.

Rusty was blessed with a handsome stature and a happy personality. All who saw him would comment on what a gorgeous Cocker he was. Every day of his life, Rusty had a wiggle butt for all who approached him. He looked so friendly and cuddly. We would warn all about his fear biting; most would comment, “but he’s wagging his tail.” Guess what; he didn’t bite with his tail.

Rusty was The Cocker from Hell, but he was our Cocker from Hell; and we loved him. He embodied all the poor characteristics of the Cocker breed – fear biter, eye, ear & skin problems, and allergies, along with the Cocker warble. That’s what someone told me that terrible sound which ranged from emergency siren to a pack of coyotes.

Rusty was “just right for his generation” - the ME generation. Rusty was all about Rusty. Whatever he wanted to do was what he did. However, he could be bribed. The raging fear biter would very gently take a treat out of any stranger’s hand.

Our Rusty loved his trips to the vet (bribes) and would shower his groomer with kisses all the while she worked on him. Go figure!

When he was young, he ran like greased lightening. The only way to catch him was to have a blanket to throw over him. He loved to play on the slides at playgrounds, chew on bones and his red ball. One of his favorite tricks with the ball was to play at the shallow edge of the pool with until his ball “accidentally” fell into the pool. He would then follow it along as he watched it roll into the deep end. When it stopped rolling, he would lie down, paws and head over the edge of the pool right above the ball and cry until someone came outside to rescue his ball. He’d run to the pool net to let you know you had to get the net first, and then go point out exactly from where his ball needed rescuing. When Rusty wasn’t chewing on a bone or eating, the red ball was ALWAYS in his mouth. He could breath through it, bark through it – it’s a shame they don’t make those balls anymore. He was always “in the ready mode” for a long game of fetch. Of course, chewing on the ball was always an option. It was tough enough for his strong chewing that he was never able to destroy it.

Pattern studying was a great pastime of his. When he was just a wee one, he was at the side of the house growling, snarling and barking. I went outside to see what in the world the emergency was. I figured there must be some burglar preparing to strike. He had spied the trash cans weren’t in their correct lineup. That just wasn’t allowed!

For most of his life, he never knew how much fun being petted was. Not because we didn’t love him enough to pet him, but because he just “wasn’t in to being touched.” The last few years, though, he couldn’t get enough of having his ears kneaded and his head and back stroked. He really wanted to be physically close to us. As he went deaf, he would lie between whoever was in the room with him.

Scamp is the fun word I think of when I think of his capers – from eating $100 worth $20 bills at a pop, to waste basket tramp, to “catch me if you can.” He loved to do anything naughty and then run off only stopping to laugh at whomever he was teasing. His eyes were always dancing with anticipation of mischief.

For all Rusty was, his personality was larger than life. Our home felt soulless when he left.

Rusty’s personality started out like a roaring lion and ended as soft as a lamb. We were blessed to have so many years with him. No, we weren’t ready to say goodbye, but we don’t always get to choose how life goes.

Rusty you left a big paw print on our hearts. We love and miss you each and every day!

We love you dearly; thank you for the active, fun life you shared with us.

Love,

Dad, Mom and “Boy”

Sadie, CGC, TDI, our darling li'l black girl who adopted us 9/5/09, honorary BD 6/9/08
Rusty, we'll love you forever, 9/22/95 - 4/2/09
Mopsie, you're always in our hearts, 1978 - 1994

Last edited by MJ Watt on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Tribute to Rusty Watt 9/22/95 - 4/2/09
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:59 pm 
I Rescue Cockers
 WWW  Profile

Thank you, Scamp Rusty ... I never met you, but I KNOW your life has helped more Cockers in need ... I know you are aware that your momma donated a lot of things to a local Cocker Rescue in your memory. And I know that YOU know that it is because of this that your momma met me and as a result gave Sadie a home. RUSTY YOU ARE A HERO - and I love you in spite of never having met you. Rest in peace, sweet boy, and thank you for all that YOU have given me ...

:Parti Indie Kodak's Canyonview Little Miss Independant, CGC, ThD (in training)
:Parti Bennett Kodak's Canyonview The Best Is Yet To Come, CGC, ThD (in training)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:04 pm 
Active Forum Member

Thank you for sharing that!

:hp :hp :hp :hp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:28 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Peggy/ASCF wrote:
Thank you, Scamp Rusty ... I never met you, but I KNOW your life has helped more Cockers in need ... I know you are aware that your momma donated a lot of things to a local Cocker Rescue in your memory. And I know that YOU know that it is because of this that your momma met me and as a result gave Sadie a home. RUSTY YOU ARE A HERO - and I love you in spite of never having met you. Rest in peace, sweet boy, and thank you for all that YOU have given me ...

Oh, Peggy, now I'm crying even harder. How sweet of you.

:hp

Sadie, CGC, TDI, our darling li'l black girl who adopted us 9/5/09, honorary BD 6/9/08

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:50 pm 
Forum Legend

MJ, what an incredible amd special boy Rusty was! Beautiful tribute that you wrote to him, so heartfelt. I smiled at the word Scamp that you used to describe him, as I can just see him chomping down the $20 bills. Thank you for reposting this very warm and wonderful tribute and shaaring his antics and his spirit with us all.

I can see it in his face. The mischief and excitment. What a gorgeous painting Cindy did. It is absolutley breathtaking! Rusty, you are missed, and loved that is for sure. Run free sweet angel! :angel :luv

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:30 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Beautiful tribute to a special boy :hp

Kath

Mum to cocker kids
Bailey Girl - Aug 2,2001 &
Bentley Boy - June 1,2004
Married to the most wonderful man - Arlon

forever missing Sandy, Kodiak, Elsa and Petra

"He who has health, has hope. And he who has hope, has everything"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:50 am 
Active Forum Member

A beautiful tribute MJ. Perhaps Sadie was a gift from Rusty :bg

2007 ~ 08/01/2010 "My Daisy" Deeply Missed, Forever Cherished, Eternally Loved
Until we meet again...sweet Daiser

Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened
~ Anatole France

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:31 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Lisa A wrote:
A beautiful tribute MJ. Perhaps Sadie was a gift from Rusty :bg

Thanks. It was because of Rusty that I joined this forum and got to meet are you wonderful people. So, I guess you're right, Lisa.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:02 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

It's now been 3 years, dear Rusty. I hope you have met the many forum friends who have joined you at The Bridge. I also hope you are being sweet and kind to them. I know you are, as you LOVE cockers.

We have a new cocker in the neighborhood. Her name is Melody, and you'd love her. She loves cockers and all other dogs.

Just wanted to say I'm thinking of you,

:hp, Mom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:54 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

I'm so glad you reposted your tribute to Rusty. He was a remarkable guy, and I can see why you loved him so much. What a sweet portrait from Cindy, also.
:gig Those Cockers up at the Bridge must have such fun times together. :gig

Forever in our hearts: Isabel, Joey and Bear