The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Peepeeing in the bed
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:53 am 
Active Forum Member

Hello, This is my first time on this site and it is great! We have two cockers both female and spayed (3 yr old Brittany/Cavalier mix Sandy and an 8 month old cocker Katy). They are both rescues. They love eachother! The little one has been doing great with leash walking and doing her business both outside and on the peepee pad. They both sleep in our bed at night and the little one often peepees in the bed...which is where she sleeps. She also enjoys one specific cushion on the loveseat but the bed is the biggest problem. Is is a submissive thing? I have been following the instructions that I read here about how to respond etc. Sometimes it is after a play session others it is just when she is ready to sleep (like last night! :lol2 ) Please help...thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Peepeeing in the bed
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:34 am 
I Rescue Cockers

I would not allow her on the bed until she is housebroken and does not mark the bed. My Hannah did this twice both times marking my husband's pillow. So she was banished from the bed for several months until we knew we could trust her. She had been housetrained from an early age.

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:31 am 
Forum Legend

I have to agree with Deborah...keep her off the areas she pees on!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:24 am 
Forum Legend

Submissive peeing, in my opinion, is more when the dog is exposed to an exciting situation. It happens to Charlie, on occasions, and he will be 3 years old next month. If someone enters our house and talks to him/pets him too soon, he'll pee a little bit on the floor. Or when we walk outside and the kids on the street all scream his name and run toward him to pet him... They're slowly learning the consequence for doing that: wet feet :gig

I think, at 8 months of age, I would still take her outside very often: after she wakes up from a nap, after she eats/drinks, after she's done playing, before bed, etc. I would also not let her on the bed until you know for sure she can be trusted...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:50 am 
Active Forum Member

Submissive urination is seems to really be one of a cocker spaniels downfalls. I always had mixed breeds growing up and now that I have my KC, all the books "rain" true. KC tinkles almost everytime someone comes to our door and greets him excitedley :dk . We all forgive him quickly because he is and always will be our little baby boy :tg !
As for the bed wetting, make sure that the bed and blankets are always cleaned and then cleaned again. If the pee is allowed to dry even a little bit the smell might linger for a long time and it just becomes an invitation for the dog to pee there again.
Good luck training!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:53 am 
Active Forum Member

It is so weird because she never pees when she is excited...such as when we have company or when we come home. Maybe she is just not that excited to see us :neen

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:32 am 
Active Forum Member

Sounds like she is marking HER turf - even girls sometimes mark. I would keep her off all of your furniture for a while. An obedience class may help; it teaches you both to communicate together, gets her used to listening to you and it's a great way to help establish you as the leader. Also even if you like nothing else about Cesar Milan, the Dog Whisperer walk is a very positive way to establish you as the leader. Once she knows she isn't the leader, there is no reason to mark.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:12 am 
Active Forum Member

Mabel did this a total of three times when she was the same age. 8-9 months. I researched it and the common explanation is the it is the age when a dog becomes more aware of the existence and dangers of the big bad world out there. They instinctively want to cover the sent of their urine and choose to do so with your smell. The place with the strongest smell of you is your bed. Twice Mabel did this with me in the bed. She peed at the foot of the bed and snuggled up near my head to sleep.

Ban her from the bed, this insecure phase will pass in a couple of months. My bed is still Mabel's go to place to feel secure or sulk, but no peeing.