The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Tips on how to train a puppy to walk on a leash?
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:58 pm 
Active Forum Member

I have a 5 month old puppy that I am still having problems walking on a leash with. I have tried the technique of stopping whenever she pulls and she has learned to sit and wait for me to go. But the moment I start walking, she darts ahead. Does anyone know of other techniques I can try as well? I am in the process of finding an obedience class where I live but am hoping to figure out the leash walking so I can take her on longer walks. I live next to a dog park and we take her there at least two times a day so even after a tiring dog park session she'll still muster enough energy to dart on the leash as we walk back home. Thank you for any advice

Post subject: Re: Tips on how to train a puppy to walk on a leash?
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:08 pm 
Forum Legend

Some of that is just puppy energy, but to teach her to heel - hold the loop of the leash in your right hand and about halfway down in your left and keep her on your left. Take 5 or 6 steps and as soon as she starts to pull, then turn to your right and make a "U" turn, saying "heel" and VERY gently giving a slight tug. You should probably lean over a little so you aren't pulling UP on the leash - you want the movement to be more horizontal. Practice walking and turning. If she's still pulling, take fewer steps and do the same thing until she's walking on your left and not pulling. Treat her with something really yummy that she doesn't normally get (chicken, hot dog, etc.). And it's good to practice when she's tired as you'll get a little less of that puppy energy.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:28 pm 
Forum Legend

TinaP wrote:
Some of that is just puppy energy, but to teach her to heel - hold the loop of the leash in your right hand and about halfway down in your left and keep her on your left. Take 5 or 6 steps and as soon as she starts to pull, then turn to your right and make a "U" turn, saying "heel" and VERY gently giving a slight tug. You should probably lean over a little so you aren't pulling UP on the leash - you want the movement to be more horizontal. Practice walking and turning. If she's still pulling, take fewer steps and do the same thing until she's walking on your left and not pulling. Treat her with something really yummy that she doesn't normally get (chicken, hot dog, etc.). And it's good to practice when she's tired as you'll get a little less of that puppy energy.

Great advice, Tina! :th-up :nw :wnk

JOINED ZIM FORUM 5/15/08~4:15pm
Chloie Pearl~Babybutt~Tri~2/16/08
Muraco Misun~Red/Wht~4/13/11
Moonbeam~Ms.Moonlight~Buff~7/24/00~8/14/11
Persalina~Big Bright Eyes~Buff~10/92~5/12/08
Willamina~1981/1996

JUSTICE FOR OREO: http://www.justice4oreo.net/

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:05 am 
Active Forum Member

Thank you for the tip! I tried this today and she seems to be catching on :) Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:25 am 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Excellent advice.

You can also practice this in a field/car park etc where you have more space. Just walk short distances and change directions frequently. Don't yank your dog around, just walk away gently if they don't follow immediatley. Praise loads when they change direction with you and give a treat if they catch up with you. Eventually your puppy will start paying close attention and stay much closer to you to get the treat quickly - and voilĂ , you've got your loose lead walking. :wink

Mum to Dylan (Lurcher), Flash (Saluki), Jesse (American Cocker Spaniel) and Skye (English Cocker Spaniel). RIP Troy!