The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Collar or harness?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:56 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi! My 7 month old fosters will be able to go for short walks in two weeks. They have absolutely no leash training whatsoever having been found wandering the streets and being under quarantine for a month. Which is better to start leash training with, a collar or a harness?

Thanks! :hi

Post subject: Re: Collar or harness?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:58 am 
Forum Legend

In our obediance training classes, we were told collar, not harness, and actually in the classes we used chain collars. Harnesses actually encourage the dog to pull, where a chain collar can be used to give a correction to the dog when it tries to pull. The key is baby steps, and treats when the dog does what you want (even if it's just 2 or 3 steps at first), also some surprise treats, so that your dog figures out that walking next to you is the best place to be!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:56 am 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Whether you use a collar or harness, leash training is the same! I don't use corrections for leash training, so it doesn't really matter what the lead is attached to.

Personally I use harnesses as it less taxing on their body (throat) and allows them to express body language more freely and accurately.

Some dogs walk better on a harness, some pull a bit more, but with most it makes no difference... so training needs to be done either way!

Mum to Dylan (Lurcher), Flash (Saluki), Jesse (American Cocker Spaniel) and Skye (English Cocker Spaniel). RIP Troy!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:28 am 
I Rescue Cockers
 WWW  Profile

If you harness train, I highly encourage you to take a trip to the store at the SD Humane Society and get the Sensi (sensation) Harness for them. Measure them if they aren't ready to be taken out, as they'll want to know which size to sell you. I like the Sensi harness as it doesn't encourage the dog to pull, since the clip is in the front, and it works on the dogs' accupressure points to discourage that behavior as well.

On a side note - a harness actually encourages the dog to PUSH against the harness - our tension on the back clip gives pressure on the dog's chest, so they push against that (we see it as pulling). The Sensi, clipped up front, doesn't give that cue :wnk

PS - if they haven't had two negative scrapings, you will probably want to think about daily cleanings of their collars/harnesses, as well, to prevent reinfestations ...

:Parti Indie Kodak's Canyonview Little Miss Independant, CGC, ThD (in training)
:Parti Bennett Kodak's Canyonview The Best Is Yet To Come, CGC, ThD (in training)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:50 pm 
Forum Legend

PeggyM wrote:
PS - if they haven't had two negative scrapings, you will probably want to think about daily cleanings of their collars/harnesses, as well, to prevent reinfestations ...

Trust me, all I have been thinking about is cleaning--everything! :tg Just talking about mites makes me itchy! :goof

Thanks for the tips!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:46 am 
Forum Legend

Naomi wrote:
PeggyM wrote:

Trust me, all I have been thinking about is cleaning--everything! :tg Just talking about mites makes me itchy! :goof

Thanks for the tips!

How would you clean them???? just out of curiosity.....

Riley and Grayson my "skin kids"
Princess Bambi the bunny
Sam and Carly the hermit crabs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:38 pm 
Forum Legend

beckyboo wrote:
Naomi wrote:
PeggyM wrote:

Thanks for the tips!

How would you clean them???? just out of curiosity.....

LOTS of hot water, disinfectant and bleach. Our washer and dryer have "sanitize" settings and the collars are cloth and plastic so I throw them in with the other stuff I have been washing (towels, dog bedding) . I have also been careful to wash our personal stuff separately and then wipe out the washer after. The pups have been limited to the kitchen which has a hard floor and the yard. They had their second dose of revolution yesterday so they are safer to contact but we are still washing hands thoroughly after touching them. Today I took them out to my classroom and set up while the house was sprayed inside and out by our pest control service. I kept them crated and on the tile floor portion. I have to say, they were absolute angels for the three hours we were there--curled up and slept the whole time!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:15 pm 
Forum Legend

We use -and love- "Walk in Sync".
Our dog trainer had us get it .. Now it is the only system we use.
Go to web site and watch video.

We use the leash and harness (which is easy to put on).
There is a clip in the front (for training) and the back (for walking).

Watch the videos that show other products in comparison and how to use this one.
http://dogwalkinsync.com/video.php

http://dogwalkinsync.com/index.php

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:02 pm 
Active Forum Member

Leigh - I'm using an Easy Walk harness on Rugby, but I think it's a bit hard to fasten it underneath him. The Walk in Sync harness looks much easier and I think the design is better overall. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:04 pm 
Forum Legend

Esther

We'd had problems with the other ones. And, our trainer loved them.

So, we got both the leash and the harness - It is very easy to put on and works wonderfully.
We are also now hooked on the leash.

It has these great (i think rubber- ish) areas on the leash. It's true - we do naturally go to those areas and they seem like the perfect amount of space to allow the dog.

PS- Did you see my post about our outing at the Malibu Cafe yesterday?
You live close enough to make a day trip for brunch. We LOVED it there as did Arlo.

Here is the link again...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q57dOSmj ... ata_player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:35 pm 
Forum Legend

Vera wrote:
Whether you use a collar or harness, leash training is the same! I don't use corrections for leash training, so it doesn't really matter what the lead is attached to.

Vera's comment made me realize something--I was expecting to have problems! I was expecting pulling and tugging and wildness. My initial thought was "You don't use corrections? Don't you need to? Aren't they going to fight the leash?" Well, maybe with adult dogs who have had poor training experiences but pups whose first experience will be with me...it got me thinking.

I noticed that the pups follow me naturally. I can't walk down the hallway without pups chasing after me. I think they truly look at me as "momma dog" and as such, they want to walk with me. So, I took the pups out one at a time so they wouldn't distract each other and kept the leash loose. I decided I needed to give the pups all the time they needed to complete the walk. I gave myself a "no tugging, no pulling on the leash" rule. I figured they would just follow me the way they do in the house.

It was awesome!! :Clap Peggy trotted with me the whole time! I walked at a slightly brisk pace so even though she stopped to sniff at a couple things, she came with me right away when she realized I wasn't stopping and moving away from her. Joe was a little more unsure and more easily distracted but he eventually walked with me. I made the mistake of using a treat to try to get him to move and since I have taught them to sit for treats that totally backfired because he kept sitting for treats during the last part of the walk :tg .

Thanks, Vera! You gave me some new insight in working with my fosters!