The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Anyone have success with poochie bells?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:28 pm 
Forum Legend

Here's another question: Now that Emma rings the bell to go out - she rings it all the time to go out. How to distinguish between a potty "out" and an "I want to eat the yard" out, LOL? I've just been letting her out every time she rings to reinforce that's what she's supposed to do, but she now has my number. If she's just gone potty, I pick the bell up, but anyone have any ideas on ringing JUST to potty?

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:54 pm 
Forum Legend

Tina, when I trained my cocker, I started with the bell and word "potty" so that she would associate the bell with potty only. Then when we got outside, I would tell her to potty/poop and praise accordingly. Make sure she does her business before she gets busy doing something else in the yard. My situation might have been a little easier because we went out the back door to the yard and it (the back door) was a bit isolated from the rest of the apartment. Some re-training is probably needed, but Emma is obviously smart and will catch on.

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:02 pm 
Forum Legend

That's exactly what we do now - but 5 minutes after we come in, she's ringing the bell to go back out - and I KNOW she doesn't have to go - she just wants to go back out. I guess you're right that she's smart - I'm pretty sure I'm the one being trained.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:57 am 
Forum Legend

Abby did the same thing. She knew that she would get a treat after ringing the bells and going out. Those stupid bells were ringing constantly during the late evening! What I did was ignore the little ringS...she would give little ring rings over and over, BUT when she REALLY had to potty she would eventuallly bat those bells like there was no tomorrow, RING RING RING. Then I would let her out. Abs was no dummy for sure... :gig, but her mommy was smarter than she hoped :sad
TinaP wrote:
Here's another question: Now that Emma rings the bell to go out - she rings it all the time to go out. How to distinguish between a potty "out" and an "I want to eat the yard" out, LOL? I've just been letting her out every time she rings to reinforce that's what she's supposed to do, but she now has my number. If she's just gone potty, I pick the bell up, but anyone have any ideas on ringing JUST to potty?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:57 am 
Forum Legend

Darra wrote:
I made my own set of bells, using some sleigh-bells that I found around Christmas time, and some yarn. Gromit learned how to use them quickly. Unfortunately, she will ring them to go out when I know darned well she doesn't HAVE to go :gig And if I tell her "no", she just goes over to them and rings them again! I can't really ignore her, because I don't want her to stop using them when she really needs to go potty. So basically, she's got ME trained to obey HER anytime she wants to go out :dk Cockers are too smart for their own good. :roll

Just recently, my cat George has started ringing the bells when he wants attention, too! :roll Gosh, the things these two learn from each other just amazes me sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:14 pm 
Forum Legend

Darra wrote:
Darra wrote:
I made my own set of bells, using some sleigh-bells that I found around Christmas time, and some yarn. Gromit learned how to use them quickly. Unfortunately, she will ring them to go out when I know darned well she doesn't HAVE to go :gig And if I tell her "no", she just goes over to them and rings them again! I can't really ignore her, because I don't want her to stop using them when she really needs to go potty. So basically, she's got ME trained to obey HER anytime she wants to go out :dk Cockers are too smart for their own good. :roll

Just recently, my cat George has started ringing the bells when he wants attention, too! :roll Gosh, the things these two learn from each other just amazes me sometimes.

:ROFL: Who needs an Entertainment Booklet, right?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:33 pm 
Active Forum Member

Izzy will also ring the bells to go out cause she just saw the cat go out and she wants to do ,or just rings them cause she wants to. I do not pay attention to those rings cause that bell is only for potty. If I ignore the rings and she really has to go, she will ring those bells like there is no tomorrow. Then I know she really has to go.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:24 pm 
Forum Legend

OK, I will try ignoring more when I know she doesn't have to go. I've never let her just ring and ring - maybe that's something I should try. My last two dogs were so EASY compared to Em. She also seems to equate us sitting down to the kitchen table as "time to ring." She's definitely a little toot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:17 pm 
I Rescue Cockers
 WWW  Profile

Baxter was like that - when the phone rang, that was his cue to bark Mom! Mom! Mom! Just like a little kid - LOL!

:Parti Indie Kodak's Canyonview Little Miss Independant, CGC, ThD (in training)
:Parti Bennett Kodak's Canyonview The Best Is Yet To Come, CGC, ThD (in training)