The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Socializing Romeo... Sounds IMPOSSIBLE!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:57 am 
Active Forum Member

Hey frnds..
Romeo is 9 week old nw..bt still he's afraid of strangers..otherfdogs..pups..everybdy else thn 5 in the family.,
a day before yesterday when i tried him to introduce to Brownie(year old cocker spaniel) he jst freaked out n started weaning...tried giving him treats to come near brownie..bt it dint work..
yesterday when i took him to the breeder,he had 2 pups in a crate.. A pug n a miniature pincture..both were younger to Romeo..bt again he was nervous,he dint come near them,n when i took out min pin..he ran to find a place to hide...
So today i again went at the same place jst to check his response.. N we kept romeo in the crate where min pin n the pug were kept...he again started cryin..weaning n ol..n when i took him out..he licked my face n held me tight..
It really frustrates me as his breeder says that cockers are usually shy dogs..n so is he..
Is there any way i can help my baby to come out of this?

Post subject: Re: Socializing Romeo... Sounds IMPOSSIBLE!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:36 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Most Cockers that I have owned or met are not "shy" dogs. :roll

I suggest a lot of socialization with other dogs, but puppies are not the recommended age to introduce your unsocialized dog. Puppies have no dog manners, IMO. :dk

Missing Abi and Leroy with all my heart.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:50 am 
I Rescue Cockers

I would suggest puppy training or obedience classes to build his confidence. When you pick him up, you are reinforcing his fears. I would just tell him come along and have him walk with you casually until he can be trained properly.

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:36 pm 
Forum Legend

There are a lot of tips on the web that might be helpful to you. Here's just one I found, but there's a lot of information out there if you just Google puppy socialization:

http://www.canineuniversity.com/article ... py_06.html

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:05 pm 
Forum Legend

Romeo seems shy and full of fears. I am not an expert in training by no means but know some things. Do not pet or pick up Romeo when he is scare or fearful, by doing that you are reinforcing the behavior, if you leave him alone and redirect him to a positive behavior, the bad behavior will soon dissapear. Example of this is when a bad incident happens such as a dog falling on a swimming pool for example and the owner starts screaming and pick up the dog and hold him and pet him it makes the situation worst. That dog learned to be scared of the water. Dogs are the opposite of what you do with children when they are scared you said is ok and hug and kiss them, if you do that to a dog you are enabling the bad behavior or to be scared of whatever they are reacting to. Another thing is that you need to exposed him to everything and everyone, and reward him with treats, positive words. If he is scared of example men, get treats and asked any men that comes around to greet him by giving him a treat. This will condition Romeo that men are ok, the same with children. Other dogs the same. my Holly dont like small dogs she gets quite snappy but she is ok with big dogs so is a matter of size. Dont carry him all the time, make him walk, play with other dogs, dont assume the behavior or transmit your fears through the leash such as been scare of what reaction he is going to have. Are you sure you are not transmiting him some kind of fears due to all the initial situations you had at home with him and the family. He needs to get confidence and acceptance from all the members of the family, that, will make him feel proud and confident. Dogs can sense so many things, emotions and so on. Keep the good work and dont give up.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:21 am 
Active Forum Member

Thanx to all of u..ur words means a lot to me.. :wk
yesterday when we went for a walk in the compound..i noticed romeo being afraid of dog barks coming from the neighbourhood..as u all suggested i dint pick him up..Romeo came to me a number of times weaning and asking me to pick him up.. I completely ignored him for that.. N thn he became fine within few minutes.. :Clap
I was jst surprised!
After few minutes there arrived a couple jst to meet romeo n have a talk about him..and to my surprise my boy seemed to be calm about that..and thn when i asked him to wish hello.. He did.. :YAY
Immediately i gave him a hug..with a kiss on his head.. :hp :smch
I cudnt cntrol..
Are we on the right direction?
Plz share if i did a mistake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:14 am 
I Rescue Cockers

I think you are a wonderful pet owner and always doing the right thing for your puppy. Cuddling and kissing them is a good thing, they can never get too much of it!

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:08 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Cockers should be friendly and outgoing dogs. But don't panic - just don't force your baby to meet dogs if he isn't comfortable yet. Just be very casual about it, jolly him along, but don't push it, he's still very young. I recommend a good puppy class, ie one where there are controls on how the dogs meet, not one of those horrible 'free for alls' you get at some vets where the big puppies bully the small ones. My Cavalier Hetty was very shy of other puppies when we first started classes, but she is fine now, though she still doesn't know how to play off lead, but that's ok.

Spaniels are the best dogs!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:39 am 
Active Forum Member

hey frnds..
Today ma husband tried to socialize Romeo with Google(13 mnths old lab) and Diesel (5 mnths old rottweiler) .. Ma hubby didnt push him at all bt as soon as Romeo saw them..he ran off barking at them..Google also barked back at him but he had his tail wagging..i guess that means he was jst being friendly..
Nw when they met Romeo,they both were on leash n Romeo wasnt...shall we try with a leash so that he doesn't run anywhere the next time...what do u feel?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:56 pm 
Forum Legend

I can't remember whether he's had all of his shots, but he should have his shots before being exposed to outdoor public places other than your yard, or the yard of friends with vaccinated dogs.

If he's already had his shots, can you put Romeo on a leash and have the other pet parents also leash their dogs and take all three for a walk? Walking together as a little pack is a good tool for socializing because all of the dogs are on equal turf and are learning to walk together nicely. The other dogs are probably quite a bit bigger than Romeo and he might have just been afraid because of that. Once they are all walking nicely together, maybe try to get together with one of them at a time (if they are nice dogs and seem friendly to Romeo) for a play date. You can let them off leash to run and play together in a secure (fenced or otherwise confined) area while being supervised by you in case the play gets too rough for him. It may take a little while for him to feel comfortable playing with other dogs, but just keep trying. Even an older, more mellow dog would be good for him to play with as they would be a little less rambunctious.

Shiloh - 4/5/95 - 5/23/11 RIP, sweet girl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:16 pm 
Forum Legend

What Tina said is very important. Please be sure he has had all his shots...all series....before taking him off your property and around other dogs.

Introduce Romeo to other dogs slowly at his pace. By that I mean when dogs are around don't make a big deal of it. He will warm up and be a playful little guy.