The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: service dog and new puppy, anybody have experience?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:36 am 
Active Forum Member

I am wondering if anyone has a service animal and has gotten another dog or a puppy?

So far our new cocker puppy has been a pain in the rear to our service dog. Our service dog has the standard service dog rules, which the puppy doesnt have to follow.

Should we try and maintain the service dog rules with the puppy? As far as this point in time there are no plans to put the cocker through any specialized training beyond basic ob and field/game.

Post subject: Re: service dog and new puppy, anybody have experience?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:24 am 
I Rescue Cockers

I say yes. All dogs in the household should have the same rules.

Hannah-black/white, 06/01/02
Tonka-black/tan, 04/24/13
Roxi-Boston terrier, 05/28/2007 (grand dog)

Tucker-blue roan and tan, 10/24/02-02/12/13 (rest in peace sweet boy)

"Cockers make my heart smile."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:12 am 
I Rescue Cockers

I agree with the same house, same rules for all the dogs idea. Just keep in mind that a puppy is a puppy and it's similar to having a well-brought up four-year old child and bringing in a new baby. Obviously you will expect both children to have the same rules but at the same time you would be aware that the baby is not going to act like the older child - at least not for a few years. You can most certainly start to train the pup to sit, stay, wait, etc. The pup can start working on not nipping and "leave it" as well. However a puppy will want (and need) to play and pouce and romp. Make sure you give the pup lots of play time because - as is often said here - a tired puppy is a good puppy. Make sure both dogs have time alone and time together. Check out puppy classes for when your pup has completed all of the shots and can take part in classes. Be consistent.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:53 pm 
Active Forum Member

How do you handle treat time?

Our service dog is allowed NO TREATS. Except those given by his person, and never while he is actively working.

Do we not treat Khan? I mean, he is so food motivated, and the really excited voice doesn't seem to be enough. If I stick with those rules, Khan will only be treated when Frost is off duty (which is only really at night time)

I feel bad when Khan tries to get Frost to play with him, and Frost gives him the "Can't you see Im working!?" stare and ignores him. Which he is supposed to do, so thats good, but poor Khan just whines and whines.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:02 pm 
Forum Legend

I really dont have any experience to give advice other than maybe the puppy will have to go through rigourous training even though he is not going to be a service dog. Also a lot of play time, alone time to drain energy and time where he can get his treats without disrupting you already set rules with your service dog. Is kind of a tough situation. Is like having a child which can get everything they want and do whatever they want and another who gets the rule treatment and is not allow to do as he pleases. Maybe you find a job for the puppy. Remember Cockers are part of the working sporting class.

Mom to dear Holly AKA Holly Caramel Candy 10/99-02/13 who went to meet Monchi, Sasha 1 and 2, in the Rainbow Bridge.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:04 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Jordan&Kerri wrote:
How do you handle treat time?

Our service dog is allowed NO TREATS. Except those given by his person, and never while he is actively working.

Do we not treat Khan? I mean, he is so food motivated, and the really excited voice doesn't seem to be enough. If I stick with those rules, Khan will only be treated when Frost is off duty (which is only really at night time)

I feel bad when Khan tries to get Frost to play with him, and Frost gives him the "Can't you see Im working!?" stare and ignores him. Which he is supposed to do, so thats good, but poor Khan just whines and whines.

I would treat the puppy when I was working with him. If you are training him at this point that is his work. The rest of the time if you ask him to sit or stay and he does it, I'd praise him as if he had just discovered the answer to world peace.

As far as him whining when Frost is working, he will get used to that as well. You can tell him "Frost is working" and then distract him to something else that will amuse him.

I think it will be fine once he starts to see the patterns of the days and what is expected of him.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:28 pm 
Active Forum Member

Over the last 5 years we have had 2 cockers in our home with my daughters service dog.

With our first senior cocker we had few issues. Our cocker was twelve when she got her service dog and they had separate rules. We felt it best because for senior cocker was set in his ways and hard of hearing, and we used hand signals with his for his commands and she didn't with the service dog.
They mainly parallel played and we never had any behavior issues.

However, a year and a half ago after our senior cocker passed at 15 1/2, we got a cocker pup. Things changed somewhat. We had decided early on that the "pup" was a pet and didn't have to abide by the same strict rules as the working service dog. We had talked with several other service dog owners and his was how handled it as well. Over time we did teach the "pup" many of the same commands and she has attended obedient classes. We have found that as she matured she didn't interrupt the service dog as often. We do allow them playtimes. But the service dog is always working and easily called back to task if needed. The service dog will not play unless he is on "release." He is very well trained and loyal.

There was a time that the pup was very annoying (mostly when she was teething) and they had to be separated if need be. Be patient and consistent.

Good Luck!