The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: A Brilliant Dog - Update
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:52 am 
I Rescue Cockers

I had posted the following under Cockers, cockers, cockers a couple of weeks back:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So my supervisor at work gave me quite a thrill about a month ago when she suggested that Cody (as a therapy dog) come in to work once a month. He is just SO good at what he does and loves my clients so much. He will sit on a wheelchair tray or allow people with braces on their arms to love on him and squeeze him. So today we went to the school portion of our facility as well as the section I am usually in. There was one little girl that is non-verbal and blind amonbg other handicaps. She was in a tilt chair on the floor. Cody went up to her and placed his paws on her knees. She leaned forward and rested her forehead against Cody and then raised her hands and patted both sides of Cody's face. Then she leaned back and clapped. She did this three or four times each time smiling wider and wider. Then Cody went over to a young man on a mat for positioning. Cody was a little unsure of walking on the pillow covered mat but finally went up and laid down by the boy. The nurse helped the boy put his arm around Cody and pet him. The boy was so excited he got to "sleep with the dog".

Cody knew just what to do and was so gentle and loving it brought tears to my eyes. I know a lot of people waiting for Cody's next visit. And Cody? He's full of treats and so exhausted he's sleeping and hasn't moved in over and hour.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The update is I was speaking to my director and one of the little children's mom's made mention at her little girl's meeting that she came home after meeting Cody so excited she kept "babbling" about something. It wasn't until the next day the mom could call the school and find out what her daughter had been doing in a "barkel class". The little one couldn't remember about the "dog" or "Cody" by name. All she could remember was her teacher saying "What sounds do dogs make? They Bark." The mom was so excited that her daughter was so excited! What a nice thing to hear! You know it's special when someone pretty much non-verbal talks about it!

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

Post subject: Re: A Brilliant Dog - Update
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:53 am 
Active Forum Member

That is a great story I am sure that there are more to come. What a good boy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:34 am 
Forum Legend

:hp brings tears to my eyes :lol2

Rocky (7/18/02), Onyx (10/2/10), Misty (8/15/11), and Ethan (10/20/11)
Weesister (7/18/02-7/22/10) and Killington (10/85-2/02)waiting at the bridge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:44 pm 
Active Forum Member

What a wonderful thing Cody is doing for those children! I do hope he is able to continue. God has a plan for your Cody. Brovo to Cody!