Both rescued by Okie Dokie Cocker Rescue

Post subject: Re: Plan a family vacation WITH your cocker for Reno 2013
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:24 pm 
Forum Legend

Marianne E wrote:
Cathie L wrote:
We might be interested in the rvpark. Would be fun if we were all together

Here's my take on the RV park.
We recently spent a week in Reno at the Grand Sierra RV park. It is an ok park, definitely nothing fancy. It is a large park, but the spaces are all dirt and sand, no grass and no trees, so it is pretty dusty and warm. There are hook-ups for water, electric and sewer, but no tv cable.
We asked to be close to the fenced dog park area. There were 2 fenced areas adjacent to each other, again these were all dirt and sand, no grass. No doggy bags provided in the dog area, but we always bring our own, so no problem there. However, we often found big poop piles left in the area, possibly by the permanent park residents dogs, so we cleaned up after more than our own pups. The fence also needed some repairs, nothing major, but was really ugly. I checked for safety, and there was no place my pups could escape
Our 4 dogs ran around and played and got real dusty there, but had a great time.
I did complain to the park management that they needed to make some improvements to the RV park and the dog area, and would be nice if they were made before summer 2013. They responded that they did have plans for some upgrades, but cable TV isn't one of the upgrades.
I would rank the park as a 5-6 out of 10. Would we stay again, yes. They are not taking reservations for summer till Jan 2013.

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for your report. I had already called to inquire about their park, features and rates. As you probably already know, we always travel in our RV. Guess we are probably obligated to using this park. Or, do you happen to know of any other RV Parks in the area? I am guessing no, because you stated that you would stay there again. :dk

We can side step the TV problem as we have Direct TV and a satellite of our own. Being that there are no trees, we can be sure to find the Direct TV satellite. :wk

Hopefully, they will make some improvements before we travel there! :evil

Dawn :paw

JOINED ZIM FORUM 5/15/08~4:15pm
Chloie Pearl~Babybutt~Tri~2/16/08
Muraco Misun~Red/Wht~4/13/11
Moonbeam~Ms.Moonlight~Buff~7/24/00~8/14/11
Persalina~Big Bright Eyes~Buff~10/92~5/12/08
Willamina~1981/1996

JUSTICE FOR OREO: http://www.justice4oreo.net/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:51 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

dawn & kevin wrote:
Marianne E wrote:
Cathie L wrote:
We might be interested in the rvpark. Would be fun if we were all together

Here's my take on the RV park.
We recently spent a week in Reno at the Grand Sierra RV park. It is an ok park, definitely nothing fancy. It is a large park, but the spaces are all dirt and sand, no grass and no trees, so it is pretty dusty and warm. There are hook-ups for water, electric and sewer, but no tv cable.
We asked to be close to the fenced dog park area. There were 2 fenced areas adjacent to each other, again these were all dirt and sand, no grass. No doggy bags provided in the dog area, but we always bring our own, so no problem there. However, we often found big poop piles left in the area, possibly by the permanent park residents dogs, so we cleaned up after more than our own pups. The fence also needed some repairs, nothing major, but was really ugly. I checked for safety, and there was no place my pups could escape
Our 4 dogs ran around and played and got real dusty there, but had a great time.
I did complain to the park management that they needed to make some improvements to the RV park and the dog area, and would be nice if they were made before summer 2013. They responded that they did have plans for some upgrades, but cable TV isn't one of the upgrades.
I would rank the park as a 5-6 out of 10. Would we stay again, yes. They are not taking reservations for summer till Jan 2013.

Hi Marianne,

Thanks for your report. I had already called to inquire about their park, features and rates. As you probably already know, we always travel in our RV. Guess we are probably obligated to using this park. Or, do you happen to know of any other RV Parks in the area? I am guessing no, because you stated that you would stay there again. :dk

We can side step the TV problem as we have Direct TV and a satellite of our own. Being that there are no trees, we can be sure to find the Direct TV satellite. :wk

Hopefully, they will make some improvements before we travel there! :evil

We would stay there again, because we would want to be close to the ASC site.
But, there are other RV parks in the area that we may also consider, such as Boomtown RV park. We also saw an RV Park close to the Peppermill; both of these are a bit of a drive from the Grans Sierra. Also, I believe the Grand Sierra had the least expensive rate.
One more thing - be sure you have a pressure valve regulator for your water supply hose, the water pressure at the GS RV park is very high, and they highly recommend using a regulator to avoid damage to your RV water system.

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Waiting at the Bridge: Little Sister, Savana, Tivy, Slider, Arrow and all the others, I will always love you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:01 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi Marianne,

I was just scanning google maps. I did see other parks in the area. It's is a tough decision by just looking at the sites on the computer. I have also been reading some of their reviews.

But, if there are more forum members that want to stay at the Grand Sierra RV Resort, it would be worth it to stay there, for sure.

Time will tell. :happy

We will be planning on staying a week (including two weekends)

Willamina~1981/1996

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:05 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

dawn & kevin wrote:
Hi Marianne,

I was just scanning google maps. I did see other parks in the area. It's is a tough decision by just looking at the sites on the computer. I have also been reading some of their reviews.

But, if there are more forum members that want to stay at the Grand Sierra RV Resort, it would be worth it to stay there, for sure.

Probably many handlers/owners showing cockers will also be there as well.

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

Waiting at the Bridge: Little Sister, Savana, Tivy, Slider, Arrow and all the others, I will always love you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:14 pm 
Forum Legend

Marianne E wrote:
dawn & kevin wrote:
Hi Marianne,

Good! That would be GREAT! While I was searching for info on the Grand Sierra RV Resort, I somewhere discovered that the park is planning on doing a very large dollar amount of work. All I remember is seeing (million), but I don't remember just how many millions... :wnk Would be great if they are done in time for us to enjoy! :gig

Willamina~1981/1996

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:22 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

dawn & kevin wrote:
Marianne E wrote:
dawn & kevin wrote:
Hi Marianne,

Good! That would be GREAT! While I was searching for info on the Grand Sierra RV Resort, I somewhere discovered that the park is planning on doing a very large dollar amount of work. All I remember is seeing (million), but I don't remember just how many millions... :wnk Would be great if they are done in time for us to enjoy! :gig

I hope so, because I was really disappointed when we got to the GS RV park.
We have stayed in some gorgeous parks, so this was a bit of a let down for me.

Leila 03/21/08
Bridgette 01/12/09
Echo 08/10/12

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:15 pm 
Forum Legend

Marianne E wrote:
dawn & kevin wrote:
Marianne E wrote:
dawn & kevin wrote:
Hi Marianne,

I hope so, because I was really disappointed when we got to the GS RV park.
We have stayed in some gorgeous parks, so this was a bit of a let down for me.

Marianne! :evil

I just found where I read about the improvements. It was 25 million dollars, but it was for the hotel. Don't know if any improvement money will be going to the RV Park. UGH! I think that a phone call might be in my near future. :tg

I know how you feel, we have also been to many, many parks. If we hit a bad one, we go looking for another place right away. We have been known to stay only one night and then move on to another place.

I think that we should start another thread for RV'ers who plan on going to the 2013 ASC Nationals. Maybe a moderator could move us.... :gig

Willamina~1981/1996

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:30 am 
I Rescue Cockers
 WWW  Profile

Yahooie!

I should be caught up on some major (past due) financial obligations in time to save for Reno 2013. Indie and Bennett have scored their CGCs (yay!) and are working on their Therapy Dog certs right now. But we should have enough time to work on either Rally or Obedience (NOVICE) by then. Anything off leash, Indie still very much needs fenced in, so this might be do-able for Little Miss Independent (hunter!).

Send me a PM about fundraising - even if I figured wrong and I can't go myself, I can always try to help with fundraising!

:Parti Indie Kodak's Canyonview Little Miss Independant, CGC, ThD (in training)
:Parti Bennett Kodak's Canyonview The Best Is Yet To Come, CGC, ThD (in training)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:22 pm 
Forum Legend

PeggyM wrote:
But we should have enough time to work on either Rally or Obedience (NOVICE) by then. Anything off leash, Indie still very much needs fenced in, so this might be do-able for Little Miss Independent (hunter!).

Send me a PM about fundraising - even if I figured wrong and I can't go myself, I can always try to help with fundraising!

Hi Peggy,
This is great news. I am in the process of thinking fundraising items for obedience and rally. Because of the location of the show (Reno), the cost for the obedience/rally judge is 4 - 5 times higher than normal. In most locations there are local judges so there are not transportation costs. This isn't true on Reno. So I need to do fundraising that covers "operating expenses" in addition to rosettes.

Colleen

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:28 am 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Hi all,
My friend & I are driving to Reno w/FIVE Cockers from Edmonton, AB, Canada! We can't wait!! :happy
Does anybody know if there is a CGC (Canine Good Citizen) certification planned @ the show? :?:
I'd like to get Stout certified if possible, because coming to this show is the only chance I usually have to get these sorts of things done living in Canada! I usually only travel to the states to do agility, where CGC aren't traditionalists done!
Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Renee S & The Cocker Monsters
Nay's Boston Blackie CGC CGN CD RE AGI AGIJ AGMXJV AXP AJP OFP (Boston)
Rachris Wick'd Caramel Latte CGC CGN RE AGXJV AGI (Latte)
Ch Rachris Wick'd Pint O'Blk N'Tn (Stout)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:01 pm 
Forum Legend

AgilityNay wrote:
Hi all,
My friend & I are driving to Reno w/FIVE Cockers from Edmonton, AB, Canada! We can't wait!! :happy
Does anybody know if there is a CGC (Canine Good Citizen) certification planned @ the show? :?:
I'd like to get Stout certified if possible, because coming to this show is the only chance I usually have to get these sorts of things done living in Canada! I usually only travel to the states to do agility, where CGC aren't traditionalists done!
Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Renee S & The Cocker Monsters
Nay's Boston Blackie CGC CGN CD RE AGI AGIJ AGMXJV AXP AJP OFP (Boston)
Rachris Wick'd Caramel Latte CGC CGN RE AGXJV AGI (Latte)

There isn't a CGC test planned, but I might be able to help you (or anyone else) find a private evaluator to do the test. AKC doesn't require formal CGC test "events". I do know one ASC member who is a CGC evaluator.

Colleen

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:42 pm 
Forum Moderator
 WWW  Profile

I would be interested in having Grace and Jack Jack tested for CGC too Colleen.