The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Pet Insurance
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:55 pm 
Active Forum Member

What are your thoughts on pet insurance? Since we got Casey about 2 months ago I have spent a pretty penny at the vet's office. I am wondering if it's worth it to get insurance. I am confused when I read about what they cover. For example, the vet wants a complete blood panel on her ASAP. Would pet insurance cover this or is it more for emergencies, routine care, etc.?

Also, for those of you who have it, what are reputable companies to check into?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Pet Insurance
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:38 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

I have Embrace for all of mine. This was after a lot of research. Two selling points for me was they cover "breed specific" disorders and they give back the chosen percentage of what is actually paid out instead of an average ( in NY the costs are high). I picked a $500. deductible and 80 percent reimbursement. I also have a "rider"to cover dental and medications completely. When Annie got sick with IMHA in April her bill hit $6000.00 the first week. We got back $4600.00 within 6 weeks. Her bills have now come to almost $10,000.00 and we have gotten back $8300.00 of it. It costs me $135.00 a month for all the dogs plus the rider. I do have to lay out the money ( on my charge card) first. I am thinking of getting a card just to be used for the pups so I can lay out the money and will likely have to only pay interest ( if I choose not to pay the whole) for one month before a check gets to me. I would not have pets without this insurance....I wouldn't 't take the chance of having to make decisions based on money.

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:21 pm 
Active Forum Member

Great info, thanks. Do you know if, let's say, I signed up today would my previous visits be covered for reimbursement? I don't even know how many hundreds of dollars I've already spent in 7 weeks. It's ridiculous! :raz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:45 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Jillyjill32 wrote:
Great info, thanks. Do you know if, let's say, I signed up today would my previous visits be covered for reimbursement? I don't even know how many hundreds of dollars I've already spent in 7 weeks. It's ridiculous! :raz

There are no insurances that are retroactive. Also I don't know of any that will cover pre-existing conditions. With Embrace it covers after the first month. It does not cover orthopedic issues for six months UNLESS you get an orthopedic exam and file that paperwork (in which case it also kicks in after one month as well).

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:45 pm 
Active Forum Member

Well bummer! I guess I'd better get on it before we do the bloodwork for hypothyroidism. This girl is like having a baby all over again!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:22 am 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

All my dogs are insured and by god, am I glad. I have had some massive vet bills over the years so wouldn't be without it.

Any pre-existing conditions won't be covered though. So anything that your dog has already had or has now, they won't cover. So it is unlikely that they would cover a blood test for something that your dog is already suffering from (even if you don't know yet what it is).

Mum to Dylan (Lurcher), Flash (Saluki), Jesse (American Cocker Spaniel) and Skye (English Cocker Spaniel). RIP Troy!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:45 am 
Active Forum Member

So if we get the blood test and it reveals hypothyroidism they won't cover it? Will they cover the medication/treatment of the condition?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:10 pm 
Forum Legend

Hi

We use "Care Credit" for our pet charges. It is zero interest if you pay it back in x number of months.
I think each persons terms may be different.

But, it allows for time for the insurance to be reimbursed.

Our Vet also suggested Embrace - the one Vickie has.
Most plans don't cover anything that is considered "congenital".
But, embrace says they do. Vickie will know best...

So far we've spent about $10,000 on Arlo and he was sick as early as 11 weeks - so, we'd not had time to insure him.

The next pup we get will be insured with Embrace the moment we get him/her.
And, - as a back up....
Here is LA we have a pet store that also has insurance connected. Pet Smart.
I met a guy who has had nearly everything covered. While we would to seek the vet associated with this company - they can be used for the tests... And, then you can use your main Vet for your actual medical decisions.

This is what we do already because our Vet (who is our personal friend) is so far away. Thus - she does the big stuff (neuter, etc)... And, the local vet sees Arlo for the simple stuff - (sore paw) etc.

After what we've been through - I'd say to 100% reading this.
If you can get insurance (because your dog is not yet full of medical issues - like ours)... get it TODAY.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:20 pm 
Active Forum Member
 WWW  Profile

Jillyjill32 wrote:
So if we get the blood test and it reveals hypothyroidism they won't cover it? Will they cover the medication/treatment of the condition?

No, not if your dog has shown (and you reported to the vet) the symptoms that lead the vet to test for hypothyroidism!

The same applies for the medication for said condition.

That's why it is so important to have a new dog insured from day one to make sure that all is covered.

To be honest though, although the blood test isn't cheap, the medication itself isn't expensive at all. Not sure how much you pay, but for Jesse it would be about £7 per month.

PS. Of course the insurance will cover any NEW conditions that come up in the future though!

Mum to Dylan (Lurcher), Flash (Saluki), Jesse (American Cocker Spaniel) and Skye (English Cocker Spaniel). RIP Troy!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:36 pm 
Active Forum Member

Ok, good to know. We are actually doing the bloodwork to rule out anything neurologically that might be going on with her because she has such severe separation anxiety that hasn't been helped with medication. She mentioned that the test for hypothyroidism is included so I don't know where that would fall for coverage.

You guys have convinced me to check into it. I knew I should have just done it the day we brought her home but didn't feel like I had enough information to make an informed decision.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:22 pm 
Forum Legend

My last Cocker convinced me that this Cocker would have insurance!!!

I also have Embrace. I have both comprehensive similar to Vickie but without the dental and Wellness plus. I've never had to file a claim on my comprehensive but I use my allotment of Wellness every year. Well worth it!!!!

Chesapeake OA, OAJ (CGC)
4/20/10

Competing in Excellent Agility ...
JWW ~ 1 of 3 Q's
STD ~ 1 of 3 Q's