The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Introducing Aussi to a kitty cat
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:42 pm 
Forum Legend

We think we might have a mouse or two in my house. :o EEEEEKKKKK so my hubby has decided to get a mouser. The kids have been asking us for years, I'm not a big fan of cats I had them growing up I'm allergic. I like them just fine at other peoples houses just not mine. But if there is a mouse in my house a cat is more than welcome to work for his/her room n board. How would I go about introducing Aussi to a kitten ? Aussi hasnt really been around cats other than to chase our neighbors up a tree n if I have to have a cat I want my lil buddy to get along with it. What did u all do to introduce ur dogs to a cat?

Austin Red/Buff October 21, 2009 -
"Have the courage to say no. Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right. These are the magic keys to living your life with integrity." Mark Twain [color=#8000BF]

Post subject: Re: Introducing Aussi to a kitty cat
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:02 pm 
Forum Legend

Sorry but I can only say it sounds like a mistake to me. I'd get trap or 3

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:04 pm 
Active Forum Member

We don't have a cat now but did for years. You will do best with a cat that is used to dogs as generally, if the cat runs...the dog will chase it. Keep them separated by a door for a while then keep Aussie on lead for a bit. Hopefully both will gradually accept the other. Now then for the allergy thing. My husband thought he was allergic but it turns out he wasn't, just allergic to the litter box not the cat. Also for some reason siamese and Himalayans seemed to bother his allergies less. You need to keep the litter box where Aussie cannot get to it, or he will eat the "kitty candy" leavings. Also, cats are not always a good choice to get rid of mice. Some do not hunt, some do but if they are allowed outside bring the critters INSIDE sometimes still alive to show your how much they love you. If the cat hunts he will need regular parasitic control meds and so will Aussie as if he licks the cat or gets into the litter box he may pick up worms/fleas etc. from the kitty. Also cats can annoy neighbors who garden or are bird watchers as cats will hunt just for the joy of it. Anywhere populated cars kill many kitties. They are much safer as indoor house pets. Be sure to get kitty microchipped. The dog and kitty can grow to love each other. Still, taking on an animal you know or think you are allergic to may not be a good idea. Kitties deserve good permanent homes as well as dogs.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:54 pm 
Active Forum Member

This just doesn't sound like a good idea.

I always have cats and dogs. I've had cats that are great mousers, but most aren't. And, even if they are, most don't pay much attention to the indoor mice for some reason. I don't recommend using cats to keep down the indoor mouse population. I came home one day and found ThunderPaws had killed a mouse. It had been killed then played with all over my kitchen floor. Hard to believe that much blood is in one little mouse. It looked like a mass murder had taken place! HUGE mess. Use the cheap wood traps with metal not plastic pieces and bait them with peanut butter.

If you are getting a cat, make sure it's because you want a cat. They need just as much attention as dogs. They need to be loved and groomed and played with; you need to clean their litter box daily; there are vet bills; not all can be taught to not scratch the furniture. You'll need to figure out how to keep the dogs out of the cat's litter box and food. Cats really should not be allowed outdoors - but if you do, they tend to bring fleas into your yard and house because they wander the neighborhood. There are lots of dangers for cats outside, including dogs, coyotes and cars. They are more likely to get sick. They kill off a huge number of birds and lizards that are beneficial.

The biggest reason not to get a cat is that you are allergic! That really is an important issue.

Hmmmm - maybe you should get a terrier? I think Duncan is a pretty good mouser!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:12 pm 
Active Forum Member

Allergies to cats can vary, as one person stated it was the litter box. Some breeds tend to produce "less" of the protein (I think it is) that is found in the saliva (I think also in sebaceous glands and urinary tract) that causes the allergic reaction. One breed is the Siberian (not a common breed in the US). I am allergic to cats, a lot of their litters, and foods (found this out with my puppers food too)...but found out that I am not allergic to my brother's Siberian...just her litter :roll ...Though I am getting too kitties when I get married in the fall, I have had good luck with them and they are generic orange and white male tabbies...nothing special. I have read a bit about the allergies and they are finding that females have shown less allergic reactions, long haired cats as well. But this can vary as well from cat to cat. I would obviously spend some time with the cat if you find one you want to adopt to determine allergy reaction. As others posted...only get the kitty if you desire one, not for the mice. Mice will come and go, the wooden traps work the best with them, imo. Some cats are mousers, some not.

Just my two cents worth! Good luck with the mice, never fun to have around.

Apollo: 3 year old Orange and White Kitty

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:11 am 
Forum Legend

We have some traps, but for some reason my hubby wants to get a kitty so a barn kitty it is, any animal that comes into the house will be loved no worries there, I didn't think I would get used to the hamster( ewww rodent ), and I cried with the kids when he died funeral n all. I'm alergic to Aussi but more so when he is fluffy, trees n flowers bug me too, I'll just stock up on claratin until I get used to kitty. If it mouses great if it doesn't well that's okay to he/she can lay around all day. ( I got a pretty lazy cocker I'm used to it )

"Have the courage to say no. Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right. These are the magic keys to living your life with integrity." Mark Twain [color=#8000BF]

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:34 am 
I Rescue Cockers

Okay....if the kitty is coming regardless of dog or allergy these would be my suggestions (from the school of been there, done that):

1. Do keep them separated. If you can do a baby gate so they can see each other - that's a good thing.
2. While they are separated, rub them both down with something like a Bounce dryer sheet or use a "doggy/kitty spray" lightly on both (it does help if they smell alike).
3. Go with a young kitty - they love dogs if they haven't learned not to - to the kitten a dog is just a big, weird-looking momma cat.
4. Obviously do not leave them alone and make sure they both have a place they can get away from the other.
5. If you can have kitty asleep in a lap (probably your hubby's but see below) and let the dog sniff and such to his heart's content, that is good too.
6. ALLERGY TREATMENT - Get some Keri Bath Oil. Dilute it one capful to 5 capfuls of water. Have hubby spray the cat well and rub it in to get to the skin. Brust the cat out. Do that once a day for at least the first 6 weeks. After that it can be done every couple of days, then once a week and finally every couple of weeks. If dander is an issue the bath oil cuts down on it significantly. My friend's kids brought home a cat her husband was allergic to and this treatment allowed then to keep the cat and he was comfortable enough that he didn't need his allergy meds at all.

Good luck!

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:55 am 
Forum Legend

If you have a good local shelter, check with them. Our local humane society/shelter evaluates cats as well as dogs to see if they are other species friendly. If you have a cat that is not afraid of dogs, it usually won't run. If a cat runs, the dog must chase. That's just the way it is. :lol2 Our local shelter also gives away cats for "barn cats," which I have an issue with only because they don't really know where that cat will go. :sad

The day will come when people like me will view the murder of
an animal the same way they view that of a man today.
Leonardo da Vinci

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:28 am 
I Own A Zim Dog!

I just got a new kitten, turn it loose with its nails trimmed the will be fine

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:14 am 
Forum Legend

Cats and dogs can co exist just fine, with some added precautions. A baby gated area that is only the 'cats realm" That contains the litter box, and the cat bed, and toys. I used my spare room for that, and the cat loved having its own space, its own window, etc. Then the animals can meet on their own terms. My old dog Champ thought he would like to chase and bug the cat...until Miss Kitty showed him who was boss...and After one or two swipes....Champ never chased/molested her again...he had to tolerate her laying on him, kissing him, and stealing his food and toys....:) The cat became a special part of our home...but never became the aggressive mouser I needed. I got 3 different type of traps...Electronic, snap and "Rat" for under the house. All did the trick.
Living in the country, you will never eradicate the mice, but keeping up with them is as cheap as a jar of peanut butter. I ziplock the remains also...so that the disease is contained better. Cats don't do well outside in the country, at least not here as there are too many preditors. Hope Aussie enjoys his new Kitty.

[color=#4000FF]Molly, Kelly, Sassy, Champ, Julie, Sugar and Miss Kitty waiting for me at the Bridge.
Currently mom to:
Cassie the Parti-Sable girl
Hailey the Red, Field coated Spaniel

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:25 pm 
Forum Legend

We've had cat and dog combinations forever. We had our first cat Jerry, then we got Henry our first dog. Jerry passed away so we got a kitten when Henry was three. We then got Rudy when Henry was seven and Uno was four. They co-exist well and everything is great. It took a little bit to get each other warmed up to each other; but ever since, they're like best friends. I think it helps a lot that we've been blessed with cats who don't run. Dogs chase things : especially cats that run!

Attachments:
File comment: Henry, Rudy, and Uno
crew2.jpg
crew2.jpg [ 71.86 KiB | Viewed 906 times ]
File comment: Rudy and Uno
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 132.96 KiB | Viewed 906 times ]
File comment: Uno
7.jpg
7.jpg [ 166.22 KiB | Viewed 906 times ]

Aunt to: Diesel: Yellow Lab (8/6/10)

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:32 pm 
Active Forum Member

I will add that in general I am never happy when one of our rural neighbors decides to keep "barn" cats. Around here "barn" cats can be described as free living, unvacinated, only sparsely fed, and seldom spayed or neutered animals. This quite frankly spells disease on 4 paws. Also it is rough times for the kitties that are often preyed upon by coyotes, hit by cars on the highway, or caught up in farm machinery and mangled. I will grant you they may help control vermin, but this is not the life I would wish on a kitty. Just a week or two ago one neighbor moved out and has abandoned a freeroaming population of feral cats. It seems so unfair. It is also unfair to the song birds around here and quail. No matter how you cut it it is no good for the environment or the kitty. My terriers will sometimes take out a mouse and I use traps when necessary as the mouse, vole, wood rat populations are always present and you do have to keep at it if there is grain, hay or any feed kept around. If you don't plan to give the kitty indoor access -- DON'T GET ONE! In some colder areas it is downright cruel as domestic cats do not well tolerate cold damp climates and are prone to upper respiratory infections. Enough for my adamant 2 cents on this issue.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:28 am 
Forum Legend

Well Emily now has a 9 wk kitty his name is Jet, Aussi was very interested in meeting him but givin it was his first day yesterday we opted to keep them apart. Jet is now living in Emily's room door closed. Aussi was able to sniff around the box he came in and his blankies, saw him briefly and then I took him (Aussi) outside to play ball just so he got some extra lovin and attention so he didn't get upset. Jet will be going to the vets this week for a check up and whatever vaccinations he needs etc. He will be living indoors and neutered asap. The moma was a cat they resuced this winter/spring already pregnant they think the owners abandoned her as she looked really well cared for. I guess John was working with these people (he's a real estate agent) and while he was going through the barns their 9.5 year old daughter was giving him a good sales pitch, really trying to work him over. He politely told her he wasn't interested, but I guess she remeinded him of our girls and he saw how much she loved those kitties, and has been looking after them etc etc etc. :raz She lit up like the sun when she saw John yesturday, and repremanded him as only a child can do " I thought you said you didn't want a kitty" She took Em's hand introduced her to the kitties and told her all about each n everyone of them what they liked didn't like what their personalities were like, bless her heart. So over the next week or so we will let him (kitty) have more access to the house John n Em already went out n bought him the kitty version of Now grain free to mix with his food from his owner, has toys, a tent, dishes, litter box etc. Apparently my hubby liked his cats when he lived in the country as a kid more than he admitts :gig

Attachments:
File comment: Introducing Aussi's step brother Jet
phpq8soSGAM.jpg
phpq8soSGAM.jpg [ 46.18 KiB | Viewed 816 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:35 am 
Forum Legend

Ahhhh! Jet is adorable, I LOVE his name. Check out those claws on the picture :OMY Kitties are adorable. I hope him and Aussie will become best friends.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:53 pm 
Active Forum Member

Very cute, glad to hear Jet will get all the needed vet care, sorry for my earlier rant.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:39 pm 
Forum Legend

@Marge no worries I totally understand where you were coming from, which was in the best interest of the animal. when a animal comes into our house it is family, not just a pet, at least for me anyway since I'm the one home with 24/7 it's impossible not to get attached and love the lil fur balls, so were in for the long haul. So far allergies aren't bugging me yet, which is good. Jet I'm sure will grow on me too, he is pretty cute for a kitten with incredibly leathal claws, he isn't a fan of Aussi but they'll get there eventually. :th-up

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:00 pm 
Forum Legend

Kathy,

You could probably ask the Vet to clip Jet's claws while he is getting his shots and check-up. Also, probably keeping Jet away from Aussie until his claws are clipped. I bet that you have already thought of this. :th-up

Kittens are cute little critters with a lot of "vim and vinegar". Have fun with him... :Clap

Dawn :paw

I am very happy to read that Jet will be an indoor kitty. :hp

JOINED ZIM FORUM 5/15/08~4:15pm
Chloie Pearl~Babybutt~Tri~2/16/08
Muraco Misun~Red/Wht~4/13/11
Moonbeam~Ms.Moonlight~Buff~7/24/00~8/14/11
Persalina~Big Bright Eyes~Buff~10/92~5/12/08
Willamina~1981/1996

JUSTICE FOR OREO: http://www.justice4oreo.net/

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:33 pm 
Forum Legend

Wiping him down daily with a wet paper towel can help with allergy problems. It worked wonders for a friend of mine

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:03 pm 
Forum Legend

Jet is so cute, I can only imagine that he and Aussie will become best buds soon. Please post lots of pics....My favorite cat Miss Kitty was all black, just like Jet.

[color=#4000FF]Molly, Kelly, Sassy, Champ, Julie, Sugar and Miss Kitty waiting for me at the Bridge.
Currently mom to:
Cassie the Parti-Sable girl
Hailey the Red, Field coated Spaniel

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:56 pm 
Active Forum Member

He's cute. You may want to invest in a cat tree. Cats love to climb and it would give him somewhere to go to hang out and chill. Especially if he and Aussie play and the kitty wants to get up high.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:25 pm 
Active Forum Member

It is also very easy to make cat trees from carpet scraps and ends that can be purchased inexpensively and simple cotton or sissal rope. Simply take a goodsized square of plywood and screw a section of 4 x 4 or 4 x6 post to it securely. You can then wrap the post in carpet or wind the rope around it. You can add multiple padded perches. Design possibilities are endless. You can also design catwalks using bookshelf supports to support padded ledges or wrapped tubes of large PVC pipe that kitty can hide inside of. Small or floor-to-ceiling it is not too hard to make Jet a jungle jim that allows him to be up above the rest of the household and feel secure. We have a small home and for years the kitty place of refuge was a large A-frame padded construction that spanned the stairwell. It took up no space at all but had 3 levels above the stairwell. Our kitties always learned to remove unsuspecting stair climbers hats as they went up or down.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:48 am 
Forum Legend

After a few days of keeping the kitty segregated he now has free roam, he hasn't gone past the kitchen yet but has been bed hopping and enjoying the height of bunk beds desks etc. he made poor Aussi cry the other day, ( no violence I swear ) Aussi went nose to nose with jet, and jet hissed at him, and Aussi started crying poor sensitive boy. He's been a little sulky since jet moved in, so ive been giving him extra love. Jet is no longer hissing at him and they are now checking each other out, I think these two boys are going to get a long just fine. His safe zone is in Emmie's room he has lots of great places to hide from the kids, Aussi hasn't really bothered him too much since being hissed at he has been letting jet come to him :p