The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Thank You Former Owner
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:22 pm 
Active Forum Member

Yesterday at a thrift shop where I stopped to buy a pair of kids sneakers with shoe strings for Cappy to play with so he'd leave my Keds alone, lol, I saw a framed print of a chocolate Lab puppy sitting on a table under a "Vet Exam Room" sign - under the photo was this sentiment from the puppy: "But I don't understand 'its too expensive so put him down', I thought we were together forever".
How I wish people would very carefully consider all facets of pet ownership before taking that cute puppy or kitten home. :bang My children are grown and out on their own and my cockers have taken their place. I could no more deny them love, food, medical care or my continual adoration than I gave my children. Pet insurance is very economical and takes worry about potentially exhorbitant vet bills off your mind. Just like kids, the more you have increases your responsibility; but oh my, what is given you by that pet in exchange is priceless! These numbskulls that think the only expense associated with pet ownership is a yearly rabies shot are on another planet! I have often wondered what breeders do with the pups that don't sell. Do they find appropriate homes for them at reduced prices, give them to responsible relatives? If they are taken to a shelter knowing they might meet their end there unless there is a local/state rescue (PAWS / ASPCA) or individuals who freely give of their time and efforts in seeing all dogs vetted, fostered and given great care until someone comes along to love them, they should not breed another litter. If those pups mean so little after all the careful planning and care given them from whelping to the time they can go home with loving owners they have no business breeding again. Totally unimaginable to me. I'd take 'em every one! DH might run me and the cockers off but I know who the winner in that scenario would be! :!:

Attachments:
cappy zim.jpg
cappy zim.jpg [ 8.83 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]

C J (Calamity Jane) buff 5 yr
Cappy buff 14 wks
Have Boo, Manny, Honey, Nicholas, Rocky, Dino and Molly
waiting over Rainbow Bridge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:38 pm 
Forum Legend

well said Donna!

In short (and my opinion) If you don't want to vet or can't afford it then you can't afford or should not get that next pup either.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:31 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

[quote="DonnaHR" "But I don't understand 'its too expensive so put him down', I thought we were together forever".
How I wish people would very carefully consider all facets of pet ownership before taking that cute puppy or kitten home. :bang

I so agree. Although I am in the middle of vacation, I answered the call of my local rescue and rescued a cute young male cocker spaniel. Poor Jason was set for certain death. About a year old, Jason appears to have been abandoned because he has TWO cherry eyes :bang :bang

On the way out of the shelter, I saw a nicely dressed man getting out of a very expensive 2011 Mercedes. He had a cute little dog in tow. I remarked -- how cute! He asked me if I wanted the dog as he was turning him in!!! I asked why was he turning the cute pooch in? He said he and his wife were going on vacation and it was simply too expensive to board the dog for three weeks :bang :bang :bang After that comment, he then asked me about my BMW as he said he was thinking about getting that BMW model for his wife :shock:

PS Yes, I called back to the shelter to my contact and left a message that if the dog wasn't adopted within the time limit to call me and I would "rescue" him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:07 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

ginnym wrote:
[quote="DonnaHR" "But I don't understand 'its too expensive so put him down', I thought we were together forever".
How I wish people would very carefully consider all facets of pet ownership before taking that cute puppy or kitten home. :bang

I so agree. Although I am in the middle of vacation, I answered the call of my local rescue and rescued a cute young male cocker spaniel. Poor Jason was set for certain death. About a year old, Jason appears to have been abandoned because he has TWO cherry eyes :bang :bang

On the way out of the shelter, I saw a nicely dressed man getting out of a very expensive 2011 Mercedes. He had a cute little dog in tow. I remarked -- how cute! He asked me if I wanted the dog as he was turning him in!!! I asked why was he turning the cute pooch in? He said he and his wife were going on vacation and it was simply too expensive to board the dog for three weeks :bang :bang :bang After that comment, he then asked me about my BMW as he said he was thinking about getting that BMW model for his wife :shock:

PS Yes, I called back to the shelter to my contact and left a message that if the dog wasn't adopted within the time limit to call me and I would "rescue" him.

THAT is absolutely sickening! Enough said....

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:02 pm 
Forum Legend

ginnym wrote:

SICKENING and UNbelievable :bang They'll probably get another pup after their vacation :bang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:34 pm 
Active Forum Member

:love :love that is so nice Vickie. Bless your hearts for taking him in.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:25 pm 
I Rescue Cockers

Susan in Selah, WA wrote:
:love :love that is so nice Vickie. Bless your hearts for taking him in.

Well I have one blind and now this one is deaf. If I can teach one of the others to sit with their paws over their mouth we can have the "see no evil...." statue! :lol3

Cody - 9/2/08
Monkey Cat - 1993 - 2013
Cori - My First - 1/2/91 - 12/15/03
Maxine - My Angel - Gotcha - 9/5/09 - 7/28/11
Maddie - Good Boy - Gotcha 6/17/12 - 7/25/13