The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Need some shampoo for oily skin...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:13 am 
Active Forum Member

Well Eb needs a bath soon and the shampoo (Bark2Basics) I bought before I moved was the best stuff ever for helping her oily skin. At the time I got it, the shop told me to make sure I got a citrus, grease cutting shampoo for her which is the one Bark2Basics had. The problem is I am nearly out of it (sheesh, that 8 oz bottle lasted over a year it's so concentrated) and no one in this town sells it. It will cost more than the shampoo to have some shipped here so I am trying to avoid that given I only need a smaller bottle since it lasts so long.

So I was out looking at what is around (no Coat Handler or the others that most Cocker folks like) and it seems the shampoos I can find aren't specified for oily skin. They have all manner of different scents, ones for white dogs, ones for sensitive dogs, ones for you name it except oily skinned dogs.

In desperation I stopped in at a groomers to see what they used (thinking they could sell me some or tell me where to find it) and was informed that they use Dove dishsoap (diluted of course). Apparently this is the one they cleaned the oil off the birds and such in the Gulf with when the oil spilled and they told me it works really well when they a greasy Cocker too as the PH is very mild while it does cut oils.

So, before I try dish soap, I am wondering if anyone has heard of, or tried, Dove dishsoap who can tell me if it's a good idea or not. Otherwise any name of any good shampoo for oily skin that can be found quite easily in a smaller town with a bunch of shampoos that all seem to be listed by fragrance vs job would be appreciated. The real game is it has to deal with oil because of all the shampoos I tried over the years, the normal ones just didn't help that oily skin at all and she'd be covered in oily dust flakes in a matter of hours.

Jean

Post subject: Re: Need some shampoo for oily skin...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:42 am 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Jean you might get more info if you put this in the Grooming section of the forum. I know that Dani and I believe Kelly is in Canada as well so they may be the best one's to ask about the bark2basic's shampoo. I
There is a sticky topic in the Grooming section with sites that sell in Canada and I know that some of them do carry Bark2Basics.

TUCKER Black Cocker 10-15-99 to 01-06-2010 We Miss you big boy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:50 am 
I'm pretty sure it's Dawn dish soap that's used on birds, not Dove.

I don't know what you can pick up in your town, but Deep Clean by Envirogroom cuts grease, Tropiclean makes a neem shampoo that works really well, the Grimenator by Double K, and any tar and sulfur shampoo will work (but don't expect a good smell). Those are just a few suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:16 pm 
Active Forum Member

Oops, this should be in the grooming section. I've PM a mod to see if it can be moved.

Julie I think you are right, it's Dawn. I knew it was one of the ones starting with a D but I guess I confused the two.

Jean