The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Gemma Rally Video & The Family video of Skateboarding!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:37 pm 
Recommended Breeder

Well, yesterday I showed little Ms. Gemma for the first time in Rally...we managed to qualify with an 89....we lost points on Gemma's exuberance of being all over the place, cutting me off, leaping up to my chin on several occasions...but this Rally "Gemma Style"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpOoCE4xFAM

And I have just began to teach everyone how to ride a skateboard...it's just at the beginning of learning but I apologize for videoing myself, it was next to impossible to do and still help them but I think they look pretty good for only having two short sessions outside in their new gig.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-o9DJtbJoM&NR=1

Last edited by michelle mamaradlo on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Gemma Rally Video & The Family video of Skateboarding!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:08 pm 
Forum Legend

I enjoyed the videos! Better exuberant that burnt out. She is very cute.

I intended to teach Star to ride the skateboard but I never found a small one, all the ones I saw were huge. Where did you find yours?

Star the bright light in my life St. James Bright STAR Angel 7-20-2008

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:22 pm 
Recommended Breeder

Sylvia M C wrote:
I enjoyed the videos! Better exuberant that burnt out. She is very cute.

I intended to teach Star to ride the skateboard but I never found a small one, all the ones I saw were huge. Where did you find yours?

Thanks Sylvia...yup I think Gemma's cute too :bg

The skateboard trick is progressing great, tonight so far my little C.C. is the star rider...he kicks off and goes half a block already.
I love the size of my board...good for cockers...I bought it at Target....it is the cheapest one they had $9.99! So go for it and let me know how Star does!

Last edited by michelle mamaradlo on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:23 pm 
Forum Legend

Thank you, Michelle! That is a great price and a perfect size. I'll have to go shopping. I'll let you know if I find one and how we do.

I'm looking forward to your future videos. :th-up

Star the bright light in my life St. James Bright STAR Angel 7-20-2008

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:22 pm 
Forum Legend

Oh my!

What fun! I loved that skateboard video! Your pups have great enthusiasm and talent! I have to ask you how did you teach them to push off??? Chessie will get on the skateboard but that's as far as we've gotten. I'd love to take her to the next level!

Gemma is a little doll! How bouncy she is! Such a happy girl! :happy

Chesapeake OA, OAJ (CGC)
4/20/10

Competing in Excellent Agility ...
JWW ~ 1 of 3 Q's
STD ~ 1 of 3 Q's

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:42 pm 
Recommended Breeder

Lisa R wrote:
Oh my!

What fun! I loved that skateboard video! Your pups have great enthusiasm and talent! I have to ask you how did you teach them to push off??? Chessie will get on the skateboard but that's as far as we've gotten. I'd love to take her to the next level!

Gemma is a little doll! How bouncy she is! Such a happy girl! :happy

Thanks Lisa!
I shaped the entire trick. I did do different things seeing what they'd offer. Whenever a rear paw slipped on the ground I clicked and treated. When they just stayed on the board..at first I treated that but then they had to offer something else to earn their cookie. Believe me...I'm not a great trainer, this is not a difficult trick...as long as the dog isn't afraid of movement...they love it.
Does Chessie do agility?
From what I can see...Andy, Jolie & Gemma all do agility but haven't taught C.C. his contacts yet...he is the most eager to do the kick off...tonight he traveled an entire block!!!! I'd better be careful, they'll be going for take out soon!
Try my suggestions about shaping it with Chessie more and waiting for her to offer something else....
Another thing I do to encourage them to kick off..is I restrain them by the collar,,,I roll the skateboard ahead and then I tell them to "go get their board" they race to catch up to it and they naturally kick off to slow the board down so they can control the speed...that is how I taught my others...just by experimenting to see what worked.
Goood luck and let me know how it goes!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:14 pm 
Forum Legend

Thank you so much for the hints! Chessie has been on a skateboard since she was 10 months old! But it was mostly to make her comfortable with things that move ... in preparation for agility. So we have no problem with her getting on but I never did anything else with it. I do clicker training so I will try your ideas. I know that Chessie can do this! :th-up I'd just better hope that Chessie never gets as good as C.C. ... our street goes slightly downhill and if she turns the corner at the end there is quite a hill.... that leads to a neighborhood bar! :gig

How entertaining it must be to see the looks on people's faces when they see C.C. cruising by on his skateboard! :ROFL

Chesapeake OA, OAJ (CGC)
4/20/10

JWW ~ 1 of 3 Q's
STD ~ 1 of 3 Q's

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:20 pm 
Recommended Breeder

Lisa R wrote:
Thank you so much for the hints! Chessie has been on a skateboard since she was 10 months old! But it was mostly to make her comfortable with things that move ... in preparation for agility. So we have no problem with her getting on but I never did anything else with it. I do clicker training so I will try your ideas. I know that Chessie can do this! :th-up I'd just better hope that Chessie never gets as good as C.C. ... our street goes slightly downhill and if she turns the corner at the end there is quite a hill.... that leads to a neighborhood bar! :gig

How entertaining it must be to see the looks on people's faces when they see C.C. cruising by on his skateboard! :ROFL

Oh okay....good...Chessie will be able to do it then! Look in the video and you can see me roll the skateboard ahead...you can hear me but I am telling them to go get it..that should work with her.
I am taking the trick to a party tomorrow...am bringing the skateboard to a pre school...Gemma & Jolie are working the party...can't wait to see the look on the kids faces!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:20 am 
Forum Legend

Michelle,

Just updating our progress on the skateboard! I went out and got the $9.99 board from Target you recommended! Boy did it make a difference. The one I had was just too small, this one is just right! Chessie was a bit nervous about the movement at first so I started with it on the grass, then moved to two wheels on/two off. By the 2ND day she was ready to roll! She loves it! I have to put it away if I want to get any real work out of her! :gig She still isn't pushing off with her foot but she gets off and leaps back on so it propels forward. As soon as it stops she's back off to get it moving again! My neighbors think it's a hoot! (They also think that I'm as crazy as a Cuckoo LOL)

Any ideas on how to teach them to steer? :gig

Chesapeake OA, OAJ (CGC)
4/20/10

JWW ~ 1 of 3 Q's
STD ~ 1 of 3 Q's

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:51 pm 
Recommended Breeder

I am glad that the $9.99 board works for you and Chessie!
Getting them to steer is a hard one...C.C. does it naturally but everyone is getting better...I am putting together a progress clip so everyone can see their improvement!

Lisa R wrote:
Michelle,

Just updating our progress on the skateboard! I went out and got the $9.99 board from Target you recommended! Boy did it make a difference. The one I had was just too small, this one is just right! Chessie was a bit nervous about the movement at first so I started with it on the grass, then moved to two wheels on/two off. By the 2ND day she was ready to roll! She loves it! I have to put it away if I want to get any real work out of her! :gig She still isn't pushing off with her foot but she gets off and leaps back on so it propels forward. As soon as it stops she's back off to get it moving again! My neighbors think it's a hoot! (They also think that I'm as crazy as a Cuckoo LOL)

Any ideas on how to teach them to steer? :gig

Last edited by michelle mamaradlo on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:42 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Brilliant, both this and the 2 week progress one. How do you teach them?? I tried once to teach Ellie to skateboard, but she just kept jumping on and off it, I couldn't get her to stay on if it moved, let alone run after it, jump on and kick it along like yours! :wow

Spaniels are the best dogs!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:26 am 
Recommended Breeder

LucyD wrote:
Brilliant, both this and the 2 week progress one. How do you teach them?? I tried once to teach Ellie to skateboard, but she just kept jumping on and off it, I couldn't get her to stay on if it moved, let alone run after it, jump on and kick it along like yours! :wow

Thanks so much:) I taught them by shaping it, that is the way they learn everything. Whether it be food or toy they are drooling for....it's up to them to look around and see what I have placed nearby....whatever that is...skateboard...weaves..whatever...I have food and they offer me everything...that is why you see Jolie sit on it at one moment and down on it the next...she is trying to see what earns the cookie..they get the cookie when they race after it, jump on and pushing it gets jackpots...it takes a lot of patience if a dog is learning that way at first..but then you just start out with easy stuff like shaping sits or downs....my guys are PROS at offering but to be honest was shocked at how fast they mastered the skateboard!

Last edited by michelle mamaradlo on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:49 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

michelle mamaradlo wrote:
LucyD wrote:

Thanks so much:) I taught them by shaping it, that is the way they learn everything. Whether it be food or toy they are drooling for....it's up to them to look around and see what I have placed nearby....whatever that is...skateboard...weaves..whatever...I have food and they offer me everything...that is why you see Jolie sit on it at one moment and down on it the next...she is trying to see what earns the cookie..they get the cookie when they race after it, jump on and pushing it gets jackpots...it takes a lot of patience if a dog is learning that way at first..but then you just start out with easy stuff like shaping sits or downs....my guys are PROS at offering but to be honest was shocked at how fast they mastered the skateboard!

I just need to put more effort into training full stop! :tg

Spaniels are the best dogs!!