Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Nervous around Children?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:03 pm 
Active Forum Member

Hello Everyone,
This past week I have been noticeing this bahavior in Dexter, He has never shown any aggression before towards children. The last couple times I have taken him out he was barked at young kids, under 2 when they come close he tucks his tail beyween his legs and hunches down towards the ground. he has never bitten or snapped at a child and i want to stop this behavior before that happens. He is fine with older kids, adults, teenagers, toddlers. He is fine with my cousin who just turned 1 this week, and my other cousins who are 3-7 there are alot of people in my family and he is used to big gatherings (weekly) with 25+ people. Kids running around and playing with them. there are kids that he doesnt know very wel that come sometimes and he is fine with them. He has never been hurt by a child that i have seen or heard of. He is always in my eyesight (he doesnt go very far from me) I only thing that I can think of is that When he gets really excited he will jump up on my cousin ( 1 yr old) and this causes some one from my family to yell at him. He is only 6 months old, so he is still very excitable and he forgets his manners sometimes. he doesn't always do this but could him barking at young kids be a reaction from getting yelled at because of jumping up on my cousin? He as never barked t my cousin, he has no issues with him, he will go up to him tail a waggin' and give him kisses. Of course my cousinisnt very fond of him doing this, but hes getting used to him.

Thank you all for your help!

Post subject: Re: Nervous around Children?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:43 am 
Active Forum Member

My Joon had the same problem. She was terrified of babies she would yelp and cry and tuck her tail. So naturally I was nervous when getting together with an old friend who just had her second baby and has a daughter of 3 years old. At first she was a little hyper (at the time Joon was maybe 4 months old) she was very excited. I kept her on a VERY short leash and I had my friends 3 year old daughter feed her treat after treat and had her keep her palm open and flat so she didn't nibble her little fingers. she must of had a whole bag of treats that day! but she is no longer afraid of babies or children because she associates children with getting lots of treats. So if you have anyone with babies or children that you know well and would help you out. Just remember to keep him close so he doesn't jump up and bring LOTS of treats. Oh, and by the way, after the first hour we didn't need her on a leash anymore she wasn't as nervous and excited. Anyway, hope it helps. :th-up

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:10 pm 
I Rescued A Cocker!

Tahnee handled this problem in a professional way. :th-up

Missing Abi and Leroy with all my heart.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:32 am 
Active Forum Member

hey tanhee..gr8 idea! :joy
these dayz m dealing with the same issue.,Romeo tends to be nervous not only with kids but with dogs or pups...strangers..everybdy except my family members...
Vet has adviced me to introduce him with every1 alongwith a treat.. :ROFL wud try the same..i guess ma baby is gonna put on some weight in the coming dayz.. :lol2