The Zim Family Cocker Spaniel Forum

The Internet's Most Popular Cocker Spaniel Community
Click here to go to the main Zim Family Cockers web site

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Does Jim's DVD show how to do top knots?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:33 pm 
Forum Legend

I always groomed Feather's beautifully domed head smooth (until she had so many warts), but I think I want Cricket to have a top knot. Does it show on the video how to do it?

All suggestions welcome!

---------------------------------------
Feather: March 23, 1994 - November 17, 2011
17 years and 8 months of Love

Post subject: Re: Does Jim's DVD show how to do top knots?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:21 pm 
Forum Legend

First video not so much imo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:35 am 
Forum Legend

I have the first one and I dont think he covered it very much, but I do remember him talking about it a little.
He recently re-did the Grooming DVD so he might have added more! :wv

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=865

But I HIGHLY recommend Kelly of KLAD Cockers tutorial on top knots. This is what I got out of it with my
Rudy on my first try. His wings needed cleaning up; but I thought it was pretty good job! Hope this helps!

Attachments:
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 115.12 KiB | Viewed 1383 times ]

Aunt to: Diesel: Yellow Lab (8/6/10)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:26 pm 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I use Mike Gadsby's (Afterglow cockers) technique from his grooming DVD - comb it all to one side, trim off the excess with thinning scissors, then comb to the other side and repeat. Then you blend around the sides into a sort of D shape. It's not always perfect, but it works fairly well most times.

Spaniels are the best dogs!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:26 pm 
Forum Legend

LucyD wrote:
I use Mike Gadsby's (Afterglow cockers) technique from his grooming DVD - comb it all to one side, trim off the excess with thinning scissors, then comb to the other side and repeat. Then you blend around the sides into a sort of D shape. It's not always perfect, but it works fairly well most times.

This is how I was told to do it by a groomed. The only diff was start with reg shears at both sides and then followed by thinning shears

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:21 pm 
Chris I can make a video and upload it to youtube if you want. It's easiest if you get a 4f blade. Even Jody Murphy uses that to create her top knots/crowns. Just let me know if you want me to do that. IDK anything about the new video, hopefully someone will chime in who has it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:47 pm 
Forum Legend

Julie Hydro wrote:
Chris I can make a video and upload it to youtube if you want. It's easiest if you get a 4f blade. Even Jody Murphy uses that to create her top knots/crowns. Just let me know if you want me to do that. IDK anything about the new video, hopefully someone will chime in who has it.

I bet a few of us would love that. I no I would :th-up

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:37 pm 
Forum Legend

Julie, YES, Please!!
Thank you!
(...adding a 4F to my order)

---------------------------------------
Feather: March 23, 1994 - November 17, 2011
17 years and 8 months of Love

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:42 pm 
Active Forum Member

The new DVD does indeed show topknots, with a #4 clip on, but I don't recall it showing anything about the wings, like Em pointed out on Rudy. So, I for one would love to see how you, a pro do top knots Julie! For mine I just shave the wings, and hack away with thinning shears at their fur. Neither need a top knot, but I like playing with the hair. :gig

Waiting at the Bridge,<3
Jenny(13), and Jake(4)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:07 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

I tried a 4F on George's topknot once and didn't like it, but it works on some of the cockers I've done. I guess it's the different types of fur!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:16 am 
I'm working on it. I got two videos yesterday of Snow White and Pirate but they don't want to upload to youtube for some reason. It might be my old computer. Unfortunately I deleted the videos off my camera so I can't try it on the new laptop. If I have time today I'll try on another dog.

Lucy I don't think I've ever had a cocker that this didn't work on. Are you sure you just aren't used to the shorter look? Did you get the flat top look? Sometimes when tk's are left long like you do Georges, if you don't start farther back with the blade you get a GI Joe impersonation. When I'm doing a show dog for the ring, I either do the tk about 2 weeks ahead of the show, or I'll start farther back to avoid the flat top. Sometimes, it's necessary to cut 'bangs' to blend in that look. Anyway I'll hopefully be showing all of this soon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:10 pm 
Forum Legend

Last time I groomed Hannah, I used a 4F on her top knot and thought it came out great. She isn't good enough at holding still (yet, but getting better and so am I) to comb to one side, then the other, and use a scissors, but the blade didn't require her to be quite as still. I think I did a couple of 'swipes' from each side three or four times. I may have a picture... (If it doesn't look as good as I think, please don't hesitate to tell me! That's one way to learn...) I didn't realize it was an actual practiced way to do it! :gig

I'm anxious to see your video, too, Julie!

Attachments:
File comment: This just shows that even a pure amateur can get an almost decent top knot this way! (I think this is a giant of my avatar!) I know she has a fuzzy nose, but we're working at getting better on the holding still for clipping her head. She did real well (this time) on letting me do the sides of her face, so we quit on a happy note.
135.JPG
135.JPG [ 173.95 KiB | Viewed 1177 times ]

Ginger - copper & black sable Chi girl - 3 yrs
Shadow - my dark sable purry one - 17 yrs

Momma loves you always, my darlings who have gone on before...
<3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:15 am 
Forum Legend
 WWW  Profile

Julie Hydro wrote:
Lucy I don't think I've ever had a cocker that this didn't work on. Are you sure you just aren't used to the shorter look? Did you get the flat top look? Sometimes when tk's are left long like you do Georges, if you don't start farther back with the blade you get a GI Joe impersonation. When I'm doing a show dog for the ring, I either do the tk about 2 weeks ahead of the show, or I'll start farther back to avoid the flat top. Sometimes, it's necessary to cut 'bangs' to blend in that look. Anyway I'll hopefully be showing all of this soon.

That might well be it, I'm not sure any more. Tbh I just hack wildly around on most of George these days, now I've given up any hope of showing him. I clip all sorts of bits that should be stripped or thinned. :tg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:04 pm 
Active Forum Member

Yep, I use the 4F on Jazzy, Bentley and Paisley's TKs. First you take your 10 and shave a U shape from the front corner of each ear on down the back of the head. Also from corner of eye/ears down the sides of the face. Then with the 4 I shave off the TK, leaving only the fur on the very top over the eyes and between. I usually shave the brows off with a 10, especially for Blk & Tans and Brown & Tans. Then I just scissor the long hair remaining so it blends well. To polish I run my thinning shears over the lines at the edge of the TK and blend it into the shorter areas, but it's not required if you don't have thinning shears. :)